ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I need help coming up with a plan to fix my NTFS security permissions problems

<< < (3/7) > >>

superboyac:
thanks 40, thanks everyone...

The advice given to me by the developer is to "reset" the NTFS permissions to standard.  Ok.  I've searched and searched, and I don't know what "standard" is.  And I use the tools like setacl studio which has a button for "reset permissions"...however, all that does is copy the permissions on the root folder (or selected folder) down thru subfolders.

To me, it sounds like there is a specific set of permissions that would be considered "standard".  How do I apply these settings to all my folders?  I've tried all these tools and they don't reset anything, they just apply my own custom permissions to subfolders and such.  Furthermore, i don't see any documentation that is basically a list of permissions that is considered standard.  I don't get it.

Shades:
Did you by any chance use anywhere the 'deny' option and let that change propagate to the underlying folders?

If so, you have clicked away warning messages from the operating system that explicitly state you shouldn't do that unless you are absolutely sure...

'Deny' trumps 'Allow'...practically without mercy and definitely without remorse!

4wd:
To me, it sounds like there is a specific set of permissions that would be considered "standard".  How do I apply these settings to all my folders?  I've tried all these tools and they don't reset anything, they just apply my own custom permissions to subfolders and such.-superboyac (August 13, 2015, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you've tried all the tools then you've probably tried this one: ResetPermission

I can only say I've used the previous version of it once to fix the same problem the author had, (unable to access some files after OS install).  You probably want to have it take ownership and don't use it on your OS drive.

Just as a matter of interest, when you're trying to reset the permissions are you performing that on the individual drives or the RAID volume ?
I would have thought it needs to be performed on the RAID volume, then flush the caches afterward.

Another idea that you haven't mentioned might be that since the individual drives can be read OK, delete the array in FlexRAID, uninstall FlexRAID (including any settings/configs), reinstall FlexRAID, then recreate the array using a different volume name/letter.  Technically can't hurt to try ... in theory.

40hz:
Ok...I think I understand what the dev is telling you.

Standard NTFS permissions on a folder are:

* Full Control
* Modify
* Read & Execute
* List Folder Contents
* Read
* Write

Standard file permissions are:

* Full Control
* Modify
* Read & Execute
* Read
* Write
Note: Standard file permissions are the same as NTFS folder permissions but don't include List Folder Contents.  (Duh! right?)

For convenience, Sharing permissions should be set to Full Control for the Everyone group. After that, only use NTFS permissions to control access. Otherwise you're going to go crazy.

When assigning permissions, get in the habit of putting users (even if it's just you) into groups - and assign permissions to the groups. That way, if you add another person to your circle of trust, you just have to put their UserID into the group with appropriate permissions rather than individually grant them access privileges on a resource by resource basis. Or troubleshoot them individually if something goes wrong. It's hard to completely grok why until you've used a server for a while - but always use groups to control access. Even if you have to set up a group with only one user in it. Trust me. Groups are sanity savers. Because once you get a group set up properly for file access, adding or removing your user's access becomes a piece of cake. I use names like TrustedUsers, Staff, Legal, Finance, etc. for my "company" groups. (Think of groups as style sheets for user access if you need a bad analogy.)

Hope this gets you fixed. If not, let us know.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

P.S. Once you get your permissions, groups and sharing squared away, you can get quick and easy access to your shared resources by typing \\{server_name} in your start menu search box. That will pop up a window with all the shared folders and resources you have access to. You can open them up and use them just like local folders with no need to map them as network drives unless you want to. But if you do, you can also right-click and map them very easily. Same goes for shared printers. Right-click and select Connect - and Bob's yer uncle!

Additional recommended reading - even if this guy disagrees with some of what I said above because he's talking about a business environment in his article rather than a home server: Part-1  Part-2

x16wda:
What 40hz said - use groups. May not really apply to you at home, especially if you aren't trying to restrict access to anything, just plant that seed though.

That said, even if this wasn't an issue caused by FlexRaid, it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth because of what you're seeing. But I'd likely do what 4wd suggested, save off the data and completely recreate the FlexRaid setup from scratch and copy back in. I just don't know how far I would trust it going forward.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version