ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Want to backup your music collection? Tough...It's illegal.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
...copying any copyright protected media, whether from a CD to a PC, one device to another, or even backing up to a remote cloud is entirely illegal.
--- End quote ---

But wait! In order to watch a video or listen to a song online, my browser (or app) has to download a local copy onto my device so that I can hear/see it!

But wait! If I buy a digital album from iTunes (on my trendy Macbook) and then put it onto my iPod/iPhone, I've just made a copy of copyright protected media! It's on my Mac and my iDevice!

But wait! If I use a service like Subsonic or Plex to have a little media box somewhere that allows me to stream to my TV, Phone, Tablet, PC, or other connected devices, it's copying those files to all those other devices!

Doesn't this ruling basically make the entire proliferation of copyright protected media illegal?

KynloStephen66515:
...copying any copyright protected media, whether from a CD to a PC, one device to another, or even backing up to a remote cloud is entirely illegal.
--- End quote ---

But wait! In order to watch a video or listen to a song online, my browser (or app) has to download a local copy onto my device so that I can hear/see it!

But wait! If I buy a digital album from iTunes (on my trendy Macbook) and then put it onto my iPod/iPhone, I've just made a copy of copyright protected media! It's on my Mac and my iDevice!

But wait! If I use a service like Subsonic or Plex to have a little media box somewhere that allows me to stream to my TV, Phone, Tablet, PC, or other connected devices, it's copying those files to all those other devices!

Doesn't this ruling basically make the entire proliferation of copyright protected media illegal?

-Deozaan (August 06, 2015, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep - And good luck using your TiVO box to record your favorite show....cause now you have just illegally copied copyrighted materials ^_^

TaoPhoenix:
--- End quote ---

-Deozaan (August 06, 2015, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

In some senses it already was ... leaving for other posts the US/UK/"3rd world countries" differences in law aside, the whole "web 2.0 *share* thing is a scam! Because anything other than the ("the not yet wholly illegal") posting of a link ... becomes ... wait for it ... copying a copyrighted item!

But no, Facebook is paying millions to let people gleefully "share" ... um ... copy ... copyrighted pics ... ahem ... "3rd class digital files" (or something!) every day in billions of posts.

"But it's okay, it doesn't move ... except if it's a moving gif... but then it's not a movie! And none of those are songs!" (see my thing elsewhere about embedding music into pics!)

So what does the ruling mean? "Copying ... uh ... to a folder location easily findable ... uh by anyone who only uses their computer to go on facebook, or iTunes... yeah that's it ... is illegal. All copies that go to temp files while you "stream" are fine ... so then if you tell people where to find the streamed "temp files" and make them non-temp, yeah, that's what we mean!"

<--- Facedesks and cries.

SeraphimLabs:
Called this.

Sooner or later if it isn't already, sharing a picture of a kitten leaping into a bucket with your mom will be a high profile crime worthy of half a million dollars in fines and fees and 20-life prison time.

I've been telling people to just practice civil disobedience. This is a law that obviously cannot be enforced because collectively the citizenship of the country simply ignores it and has no interest in obeying it.

If the courts actually worked as intended they would recognize this law is of corrupt intentions and does not benefit the people of the country, so they would order it striken from the books without any further negotiation.

Justice is blind, but she can clearly smell money.

KynloStephen66515:
Called this.

Sooner or later if it isn't already, sharing a picture of a kitten leaping into a bucket with your mom will be a high profile crime worthy of half a million dollars in fines and fees and 20-life prison time.

I've been telling people to just practice civil disobedience. This is a law that obviously cannot be enforced because collectively the citizenship of the country simply ignores it and has no interest in obeying it.

If the courts actually worked as intended they would recognize this law is of corrupt intentions and does not benefit the people of the country, so they would order it striken from the books without any further negotiation.

Justice is blind, but she can clearly smell money.
-SeraphimLabs (August 09, 2015, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, the one lucky thing is...we have the backing of the major software distributors on this one - for example, Apple with iTunes...they ALLOW you to do this (Mainly because other than streaming (which...let's not get into the whole downloading temp-file status) - so if the govt decide to come down on people doing it (even though they said even the IPO have no interest in upholding this pointless law) then they will have some HUGE companies threatening to pull their business out of the country...and we all know that companies threatening to move themselves and no longer have to pay huge amount of taxes, will be far more of an incentive for the government to make changes (Since, most laws are based around money gathering, rather than for the benefit of the general public)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version