ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Beware: A Dangerous Windows 10 Ransomware Scam Is Spreading Online

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
Well, tbh, when it comes to this...As far as I am aware, they don't e-mail you shit to click to download - They just download it to your PC if you pre-ordered via the annoying popup, then it will give you an annoying popup to tell you it's done doing whatever it did.

It does specifically say, in that stupid popup, that when it is ready, that window will let you know - absolutely nothing about "We will e-mail you"
-Stephen66515 (August 03, 2015, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

dont be too quick of the mark there Stephen - I got asked when I 'reserved' my copy, if I wanted email notification.-tomos (August 03, 2015, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! :Thmbsup: Combine an old scam with a new confusion and the fun ensues promptly at click here. Sure, I get where he's coming from...but folks need warned to think before they click.

KynloStephen66515:
Well, tbh, when it comes to this...As far as I am aware, they don't e-mail you shit to click to download - They just download it to your PC if you pre-ordered via the annoying popup, then it will give you an annoying popup to tell you it's done doing whatever it did.

It does specifically say, in that stupid popup, that when it is ready, that window will let you know - absolutely nothing about "We will e-mail you"
-Stephen66515 (August 03, 2015, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

dont be too quick of the mark there Stephen - I got asked when I 'reserved' my copy, if I wanted email notification.-tomos (August 03, 2015, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! :Thmbsup: Combine an old scam with a new confusion and the fun ensues promptly at click here. Sure, I get where he's coming from...but folks need warned to think before they click.
-Stoic Joker (August 03, 2015, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

That could be said for any e-mail you ever get, from anybody...ever  ;D

x16wda:
Part of the delight is that Microsoft never mentioned (at least in anything I saw) just what this notification would look like. I even did a quick search, and couldn't find a picture. I went ahead and pulled down all 5 of the ISOs I need and have worked from there, but just got the notification on my main box. And in case you haven't yet seen it, the "Windows 10 Upgrade is Ready Notification" looks like.... this:

Beware: A Dangerous Windows 10 Ransomware Scam Is Spreading Online

KynloStephen66515:
Part of the delight is that Microsoft never mentioned (at least in anything I saw) just what this notification would look like. I even did a quick search, and couldn't find a picture. I went ahead and pulled down all 5 of the ISOs I need and have worked from there, but just got the notification on my main box. And in case you haven't yet seen it, the "Windows 10 Upgrade is Ready Notification" looks like.... this:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-x16wda (August 03, 2015, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was/am far too impatient...so I downloaded it on release day before the notification came up (My Mrs's laptop still ain't had a notification...and I'm far too lazy to manually upgrade hers lol)

4wd:
(My Mrs's laptop still ain't had a notification...and I'm far too lazy to manually upgrade hers lol)-Stephen66515 (August 03, 2015, 07:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not laziness, that's your latent self-preservation instinct awakening.

Trust me, I know :P

Rule #1: Never, ever, touch the wife's computer until you have been given permission ... and even then, don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version