ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (24/26) > >>

ewemoa:
Thanks for the links.

IIUC, it may be relatively straight-forward to check from a terminal app in Android whether privacy extensions are in use:

--- ---ip a

The result may show information for various network interfaces -- for WiFi, a typical interface name is wlan0.  Examine the displayed MAC address and IPv6 address -- roughly, if the last 3 bytes are the same in both, I think it's a good bet that (at least for that interface) the extensions are not in use.

Deozaan:
Thanks for the links.

IIUC, it may be relatively straight-forward to check from a terminal app in Android whether privacy extensions are in use:

--- ---ip a

The result may show information for various network interfaces -- for WiFi, a typical interface name is wlan0.  Examine the displayed MAC address and IPv6 address -- roughly, if the last 3 bytes are the same in both, I think it's a good bet that (at least for that interface) the extensions are not in use.
-ewemoa (September 27, 2015, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems disabled by default for my on the latest stock Android (Lollipop 5.1.1)! :tellme: :o

If anyone running Windows is curious to know if the privacy extensions are enabled on their PC, one can open a command prompt and type the following:

netsh interface ipv6 show privacy
--- End quote ---
-Innuendo (September 27, 2015, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I ran that command and got these results:

--- --->netsh interface ipv6 show privacy
Querying active state...

Temporary Address Parameters
---------------------------------------------
Use Temporary Addresses             : enabled
Duplicate Address Detection Attempts: 3
Maximum Valid Lifetime              : 7d
Maximum Preferred Lifetime          : 1d
Regenerate Time                     : 5s
Maximum Random Time                 : 10m
Random Time                         : 5m27s
The "enabled" part makes me think I have the privacy option enabled, but when I check out ipconfig /all, I see my MAC in my IPv6 address...

Or maybe I'm just reading the results incorrectly.

ewemoa:

--- --->netsh interface ipv6 show privacy
Querying active state...

Temporary Address Parameters
---------------------------------------------
Use Temporary Addresses             : enabled
Duplicate Address Detection Attempts: 3
Maximum Valid Lifetime              : 7d
Maximum Preferred Lifetime          : 1d
Regenerate Time                     : 5s
Maximum Random Time                 : 10m
Random Time                         : 5m27s-Deozaan (September 28, 2015, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried the command for a Windows environment and observed "enabled" as well.

when I check out ipconfig /all, I see my MAC in my IPv6 address...

--- End quote ---

FWIW, for ipconfig /all, when I look at the value for "Physical Address" and compare it with "Link-local IPv6 Address", I don't see much similarity.

Deozaan:
FWIW, for ipconfig /all, when I look at the value for "Physical Address" and compare it with "Link-local IPv6 Address", I don't see much similarity.-ewemoa (September 28, 2015, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right! I was misreading it. I was looking at the value for "DHCPv6 Client DUID" (which contains my entire MAC) rather than "Link-local IPv6 Address."

Thanks!

ewemoa:
The following requires:

* An elevated Powershell console (it will immediately exit if the console isn't elevated);
* The Windows Update Powershell Module installed.
* Minimum Powershell version required should be v2+ since that's what WUPM requires, (I'm not sure if there's any specific cmdlets that require a later version).
* Some knowledge of Powershell ExecutionPolicy so I'm not answering questions :)-4wd (September 22, 2015, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Spent some time wondering where Hide-WUUpdate was only to discover that this was added in the Windows Update Powershell Module in version 1.4.6 as mentioned here:

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/PSWindowsUpdate/

Had inadvertently tried the 3 attachment links on the Module page and those happened to be for 1.3.4, 1.4.3, and 1.4.5...doh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version