ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (15/26) > >>

Innuendo:
I didn't mean to offend. My apologies to both you and Innuendo if I did. -Deozaan (August 30, 2015, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm impossible to offend so no apology to me is necessary. You & I have been co-existing on this board for nearly a decade so I think we've known each other enough that any minor misunderstandings aren't worth giving much thought to given the communication medium & the inherent flaws it possesses.

DC has always been a place to exchange ideas & say what's on our minds. There's bound to be a crossed wire or mixed signal from time to time.

wraith808:
I didn't mean to offend. My apologies to both you and Innuendo if I did. -Deozaan (August 30, 2015, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm impossible to offend so no apology to me is necessary. You & I have been co-existing on this board for nearly a decade so I think we've known each other enough that any minor misunderstandings aren't worth giving much thought to given the communication medium & the inherent flaws it possesses.

DC has always been a place to exchange ideas & say what's on our minds. There's bound to be a crossed wire or mixed signal from time to time.

-Innuendo (August 30, 2015, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're awesome, dude!

ewemoa:
Can't you just not select that update in Windows Update? I mean, you'd need to know the KB number(s) to be sure you don't install them. But other than that, I think Windows Update itself makes it fairly easy to not install an update if you don't want it.

You can even hide it using the context menu so it doesn't prompt you to install it later.
-Deozaan (August 29, 2015, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I currently do -- and it's ok for one machine.

Do you see where this is going?

bit:
"It’s not just Windows 10, Windows 7 and 8 are also tracking you – here’s how to stop them"
quote:
So, what can you do to stop it?

First, you can avoid installing these four updates altogether. If they have already been installed, they can be uninstalled from within the Control Panel (here’s a guide), or advanced users can type the following four commands using an elevated command prompt:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

[edit (my note): I can bring up a Command Prompt, but don't know what prefix to use with the above uninstall commands.]

Once the updates are uninstalled, use the Windows Update mechanism to “hide” them (here’s a guide) so that your operating system doesn’t try to reinstall them.
end quote (more at the page).

edit: my vintage 486 keyboard has no Windows key with which to call up the uninstall a program window that shows the four unwanted Windows updates on my Windows 7 Pro OS.
So far, I am still trying to bring up that uninstall window without success.

How about a nice DC coding snack macro to do it all automatically for Win 7, 8, and/or 10? :D

xtabber:
I didn't mean to offend. My apologies to both you and Innuendo if I did.
-Deozaan (August 30, 2015, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was definitely not offended. I just wanted to make clear that my post related to the original topic, not to your post, even if yours appeared just before mine in the thread. 

And yes, the focus of the thread has drifted from privacy to upgrades & security, although privacy and security are pretty closely related when you're hanging out in the cloud, as Microsoft wants us to do.

I consider the inability to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10 to be a threat to both my privacy and my security - enough so that I would not install Windows 10 on my main work system unless Microsoft changes that policy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version