ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

(1/26) > >>

wraith808:
https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30/windows-10-seems-to-have-some-scary-privacy-defaults/

That whole post to me seems to be a combination of FUD, and Microsoft not being clear in what they mean/were applying these too.

But I did want to get others' take on it.

... and even before reading these, I'd already done the custom, and already turned all of these off.  I figured, if I needed anything, I could turn them on later.

Thoughts?

wraith808:
My take on the whole thing can be summed up, by a very good quote from the reddit thread that I think applies to the whole post.

That's my problem with this post. It tells people to change these settings to increase privacy, but does not explain what these changes actually do. No Onedrive integration, no Windows Defender, blocks Microsoft servers for diagnostics and feedback. It disables the p2p windows updates, which if I understand correctly could reduce bandwith usage if you have multiple computers in your network. I'm not going to do this on my computer, but I doubt Cortana is functional at all with all of these changes. Unplugging your PC is the most secure option, but you have to draw the line between functionality and security at some point. This post goes a bit further than I would like with disabling functionality.

--- End quote ---

Curt:
the last thing I did before reading this thread was just that; unchecking a myriad of "ON"s! Basically, this new operating system was primarily created for smartphones, only secondarily for desktop computers. Clever thinking, Microsoft, except I don't use a smartphone... either.

Innuendo:
Each of these settings is a 'give and take' scenario. Each setting gives you something and takes away something depending on if it is turned on or off. There are no right or wrong ways to set them. It's up to each user to decide for themselves if what they gain is worth what they lose if they have a given setting turned on...or turned off.

Deozaan:
One thing I'm still unclear on is whether or not WiFi Sense will recursively share your WiFi AP info with your friends and their friends and their friends, etc.

It's kind of troubling, actually. Say you don't like the idea of sharing your AP with ALL of your contacts, so you turn that feature off. That means that when your friends/family comes over and want to use the WiFi, you have to enter the password on their system. Now, you can do that without telling them what the password is, but now the password is shared on their device, and if they have a Windows 10 device, and they share their WiFi connections with WiFi Sense, now all your friend's friends (Outlook.com, Skype, or Facebook contacts) can access your WiFi.

All without your knowledge or your permission.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version