ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (6/26) > >>

Ath:
I just upgraded to Win10. I turned everything off.
-Renegade (August 06, 2015, 01:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
+2 (that is: 2 of 6 systems here upgraded  :)) yes, nearly all 'phone home' features turned off

Innuendo:
I haven't checked into it extensively yet, but I imagine our smart phones are passing along more information to The Man than any desktop OS ever will. Unless you're walking around with the battery pulled and only put it back in for as long as you need to use the phone & not a second longer, your phone is capable of telling somebody where you are every second of every day its with you. Where you drive, where you shop, where you spend most of your time....and The Man can monitor this (and more) even if the phone is turned off.

Most of this privacy stuff is all over MS needing collect information to customize the OS to you (and the ads, too). I half-suspect that all the legal jargon in the EULA that has people up in the arms is just CYA boilerplate in case a government agency drops a subpeona on a Microsoft executive's desk.

Just my theory...could totally be wrong, though, as I haven't had time to dig deep into it yet.

TaoPhoenix:
I haven't checked into it extensively yet, but I imagine our smart phones are passing along more information to The Man than any desktop OS ever will. Unless you're walking around with the battery pulled and only put it back in for as long as you need to use the phone & not a second longer, your phone is capable of telling somebody where you are every second of every day its with you. Where you drive, where you shop, where you spend most of your time....and The Man can monitor this (and more) even if the phone is turned off.

Most of this privacy stuff is all over MS needing collect information to customize the OS to you (and the ads, too). I half-suspect that all the legal jargon in the EULA that has people up in the arms is just CYA boilerplate in case a government agency drops a subpeona on a Microsoft executive's desk.

Just my theory...could totally be wrong, though, as I haven't had time to dig deep into it yet.
-Innuendo (August 06, 2015, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

They are, and that's a little bit of all this, we're all uneasy with what mobile phones do, but we're kinda stuck. Desktop OS's were supposed to be "ours".

TaoPhoenix:
This could go in a couple of threads, but it works here too.

Removing any doubt - From the Win10 Wiki:

"Unlike previous versions of Windows, Microsoft described Windows 10 as "service" that would receive ongoing updates to its features and functionality. augmented with the ability for enterprise environments to receive non-critical updates at a slower pace, or use long-term support milestones that will only receive critical updates, such as security patches, over their five-year lifespan of mainstream support."

"Criticism of Windows 10 was directed towards a belief that the operating system was more limiting in how users could control its operation; in particular, Windows Update installs all updates automatically, no longer allows users to selectively install updates, and only the Pro edition of Windows 10 can "defer" the installation of "upgrades" for the operating system. Privacy concerns were also voiced by critics and advocates, as the operating system's default settings and certain features require the transmission of user data to Microsoft or its trusted partners."

... With whatever privacy concerns (or others!) comes with Software-as-a-service.

:tellme:

bit:
Sounds almost like, next thing you know, like WalMart, Microsoft will be bogusly referring to us as 'Associates'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version