ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (2/10) > >>

cranioscopical:
I thought I would post this as a separate thread outside of the Windows 10 mega-thred so nobody missed it.
-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for taking the time, forewarned is foreboding.

wraith808:
I thought I would post this as a separate thread outside of the Windows 10 mega-thred so nobody missed it.
-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for taking the time, forewarned is foreboding.

-cranioscopical (August 02, 2015, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

... Oh Chris, never change.  ;D

Curt:
I thought I would post this as a separate thread outside of the Windows 10 mega-thred so nobody missed it.-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for taking the time, forewarned is foreboding.-cranioscopical (August 02, 2015, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

^+1

However, I will change.

furthermore, I too have a Win 10 clean_install...

michaelkenward:
No sign of carnage in Dopus here.-michaelkenward (August 02, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Make sure you have Hidden Files and System Files set as viewable in Opus. You should see at least one directory named $BT_Windows or similar and other directories like Windows.old and Users.old, etc. scattered hither and yon. If you are on Windows 10 and you don't see them, either your file manager is hiding them or you aren't looking in the right places.
-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see them, but they are not carnage. They are what is there on your PC. Three old directories is hardly the end of the world.

The way to get rid of them is to work out how to tell Windows to clean up after itself. (Did you gpo and research that?) Variants of those folders have been there whenever anyone does an in-place upgrade, rather than a clean install. to Windows.

What you probably saw were $Windows.$BT and $Windows.$BS as well as Windows.old. Not enough to send me off in a mad frenzy.

4wd:
^Yes, that's all I had after both machine upgrades I've done, just the normal *.old folders and the folders containing the Windows 10 upgrade.

My fun started when I restored one of them back to Windows 8.1 via a system drive image ... only to find it wouldn't boot.  Windows 10 upgrade process had slipped an extra System Reserved partition in when I wasn't looking, had to use Paragon HDM to remove it then correct the BCD entries in the original.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version