ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (7/10) > >>

Innuendo:
So in some senses "go gentle" means that MS didn't do their job. For example, paraphrasing a phrase I like to use, "Microsoft spent three years and a developer channel and no one moved their desktop?! Why does DC have to be first to do stuff?!"
-TaoPhoenix (August 05, 2015, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that, Tao. That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Microsoft had how many builds for how long in testing & nobody thought to right-click on the Desktop icon, select properties, and give that Location tab a proper go of it? This is a feature that's been in Windows for as long as I can remember. And it always worked. Till Now.

Innuendo:
That's actually not as completely shocking as you might think - It also might not be Epson's fault.
-Stoic Joker (August 05, 2015, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I understand what you're saying, why didn't Win 10 come 'rescue' me all the while I was futzing with things all evening the day before? And why was that fugly 16-bit icon down in my system tray when I told all the Epson stuff to uninstall and bother me nevermore?

Oh well, I've been doing this stuff long enough that sometimes getting the win is good enough. Don't question it. Just move along. There will be another weird problem coming along shortly.

JavaJones:
Gotcha, yeah that all makes sense (more so now with clarification). I can see that the clean install was not as smooth as it should have been. And certainly *features* like moving user data folders (including Desktop) should be tested and should work. I wouldn't be prepared to call it an all-out failure until others test it as it may be something unique to your configuration or some other quirk. That doesn't mean it's "OK", it still should work, I just mean that it *may* have been tested and worked fine ("Works for me!"), and still it could cause problems for you and others (but not everyone).

Anyway, I did want to do a clean install of at least two of my machines, but I'll be trying an upgrade of one as soon as it's made available to me. I'll do a full system image and then report results afterward. :D

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
I wanted to post the solution for my "network was configured as public when the darn thing should have been configured as private problem" just in case anyone else runs into it and needs a solution....and because it was so hard for me to find!

The type of the network can changed in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\

Category:

0 = Public

1 = Private

Gleaned from here.

bit:
(post moved by me)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page