ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Startups and the Big Lie

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
...all those companies that served the needs of startups back in the 90s (Dell, OfficeMax, Staples, Kinkos, Steelcase, etc.).
-40hz (August 25, 2015, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dell?  Dell was started (as PC's Limited) in 1984, changed its name to Dell in 1987 and went public in 1988. It didn't really become a major player itself until the early 90's.

And if any company illustrates the need to lie to grow a startup, it's Dell.

In the mid to late 80s, when tech publications ran regular comparisons of personal computers, PC's Limited systems could only be ordered direct from Michael Dell, and he made sure they got hand tuned souped up systems that outperformed the off-the shelf systems they got from major manufacturers.  As a result, Dell's PCs won every benchmark for a while (until the other companies wised up) and became the standard others were judged by.  But unless you worked for PC Magazine or PC World, you could not get a system from Dell that performed like that.

-xtabber (August 29, 2015, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, if I had known that I would have purchased all my PCs from Neil J. Rubenking.  ;)

mouser:
One of the lesser-publicized facts of the recent hacking of the Ashley Madison website, is that nearly all of the female accounts were fake -- created by the company to make it look like the site was active and popular: http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

This seems to be the standard operating procedure of website these days, where seeming to be popular is a necessary first lie.

MilesAhead:
One of the lesser-publicized facts of the recent hacking of the Ashley Madison website, is that nearly all of the female accounts were fake -- created by the company to make it look like the site was active and popular: http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

This seems to be the standard operating procedure of website these days, where seeming to be popular is a necessary first lie.
-mouser (August 29, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I remember when the internet explosion was happening.  I checked out a few of the dating sites.  Membership was free.  But communicating with women cost money.  I got these invites from women with pictures.  It was obvious that the women who posed for the pictures would not have any trouble getting dates.  More like they would have trouble keeping undesirable guys from communicating.  I never sent a communication because I was sure the scam was send invites to suckers(er, I mean male clients of the service) to get them to pay to send messages to the babes.  Then the babes beg off for some contrived reason.  They have to because they are fictional characters.  It is not worth the effort to try to get $5 or $10 back so the suckers just cancel the service.  Same old scam, new ad copy.  :)

Deozaan:
One of the lesser-publicized facts of the recent hacking of the Ashley Madison website, is that nearly all of the female accounts were fake -- created by the company to make it look like the site was active and popular: http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944-mouser (August 29, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that why the site was hacked in the first place? The hackers were mad about the site lying about having so many women on the site, or something?

-mouser (August 29, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. This was mentioned elsewhere on this site. The way Google (and other ad companies/stores) recommend things is by their popularity. So sites or products that are popular among a few people become popular among many people. It's a big, "Hey, check out this site/product/video because other people are checking it out."

There's actually very little of "Hey, check out this site/product/video because it's a good site/product/video."

MilesAhead:
There's actually very little of "Hey, check out this site/product/video because it's a good site/product/video."
-Deozaan (August 29, 2015, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That reminds me of auto dealership ads.  They blare on about being number one in sales for their region.  All that tells me is to be prepared for high pressure and bait and switch tactics.  Why would I care how successful the dealership is?  The only conceivable reason would be if lifetime maintenance was thrown in with the purchase and I was afraid they would go out of existence before I got my free tune ups and brake jobs.

It's like who cares if anything is printed in the encyclopedia.  Just buy a set from me because I sell more sets than anyone else.  Strange logic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version