ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pls recommend 32-bit software for old WinXP machine I'm giving an elderly woman

<< < (4/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
If her vision isn't the best it may be cool to try to get some free audio books.  Also if she lives alone or is alone quite a bit the voice reading the book can be like company.  Many elderly with vision problems listen to talk radio but in some areas they mainly have sports talk.  Probably not interesting listening for an elderly female.

40hz:
If she has spiritual inclinations, there's a huge archive of sacred and spiritual texts available for free download over at
www.sacred-texts.com. All the major religions are well represented along with dozens of other more esoteric traditions. Everything for Angels to Zoroastrianism.

Especially good is a story written in 1897 by John Uri Lloyd titled ETIDORHPA. It's a good adventure yarn about a fantastic spiritual journey (much like Dante's)  to "the end of earth" - and places stranger. Highly recommended.

TaoPhoenix:

Stephen, a big unclear item is she can't afford a mainline internet service. So a bunch of your ideas fall sideways.

MilesAhead:

Stephen, a big unclear item is she can't afford a mainline internet service. So a bunch of your ideas fall sideways.

-TaoPhoenix (August 04, 2015, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if there is some kind of "Internet for All" initiative in her area?

kyrathaba:
Okay, it's not a bad machine. Pentium 4 running at 2.66 GHz. I've bumped RAM from 512M to 1.5G. Running WinXP Home SP3. Avast. Filling the drive with books (audio and text), movies, hidden obj/puzzle/sim games. Using FSL Launcher. Will make her some screencast tutorials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version