ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nothing working to get FUBAR PC to boot

(1/3) > >>

kyrathaba:
I inherited a little mini-PC. No CD drive. Just has a small SSD. Problem is: won't boot. I've tried manipulating BIOS. Got it to look at USB keys first in boot order. And I have a USB key with WinXP Pro 64x installation files (which would be fine, for this little PC, though naturally I prefer Win7 which I don't have an installation disc for). It obviously tries to access the USB key. I see the key light up and flash, but I get a Missing Boot Manager screen. I take it the Win7 installation that was originally on the SSD is dorked. It's a Lenovo ThinkCentre M53 Tiny. The OEM Lenovo Restore software runs from the Recovery partition, but is unable to fix the problem. And when I try to access a 500Gb USB removable drive (on which I have a backup image), Lenovo Recovery won't detect the removable drive.

Any ideas on how I might restore this little machine? Never again will I fool with a PC that doesn't have a CD drive...

Shades:
Stoic Joker has a suggestion to try: this DC thread

This very likely enables the repair option (that comes with the device at sounds) to complete.

kyrathaba:
Thanks for the link, Shades.

Unfortunately, I cannot even reach Step 1 in SJ's post:

1.   Boot from appropriate OS media.
--- End quote ---

Nothing I've tried has allowed me to boot from a bootable USB stick, and the PC has no CD drive.

tomos:
have you tried a windows 7 recovery disc (on usb of course) ?
(FWIW, I made an ISO of the CD and used Rufus to 'burn' it to usb-stick)

EDIT// I guess it probably wont work if the installation disc wont work - but I did have some success in repairing a MBR (that could not find the OS install) lately with it

kyrathaba:
Hmm, I'll try that, tomos, and let you know... thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version