ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Program Proposal: "File Master" Cataloging Software

<< < (3/5) > >>

tomos:
Also, the developer is arrogant, banning hard-working contributors from his board because their political beliefs are incompatible with his ones.
-Tuxman (July 30, 2015, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know nothing about this - but I do know this: whether true or not, it is completely off-topic and irrelevant in this thread

woodr2011:
Also, the developer is arrogant, banning hard-working contributors from his board because their political beliefs are incompatible with his ones.
-Tuxman (July 30, 2015, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know nothing about this - but I do know this: whether true or not, it is completely off-topic and irrelevant in this thread
-tomos (July 30, 2015, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree entirely. I am not here to besmirch anyone.

IainB:
@woodr2011: Thanks for the explanation. I was in a bit of a rush and had to pop out to pick up my 5y/o son from school when I asked that question, but after getting back to my laptop I searched up "library science" and now understand the scope of that subject area a little better. Normally I would have done the search before bothering you with the Q.

Whilst searching, and still operating on the premise that there was probably some existing piece of software that could more or less meet your needs, I also found an interesting list of "library science" software here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software
The list includes Qiqqa and Zotero, but not Calibre. There are mini-reviews of Qiqqa and Calibre on the DC forum:

* Qiqqa - Reference Management System - Mini-Review
* Calibre - e-Book (Personal Library/Document) Management - Mini-Review
Zotero is mentioned in several discussions on the DC forum and I happen to have been trialling it for the last few weeks, along with two PIMs (Personal Information managers) - WizNote and Wezinc.

However, maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but it does rather begin to look as though there isn't much that would be likely to meet all your requirements, so I can understand why you might see the need for a new development. This looks interesting.

IainB:
Just in case this might be useful or of interest:
After making the above response, I came across this in my feed-reader: Daminion is a professional photo, video and document management software - gHacks Tech News

Daminion - see Asset Cataloging for Digital Photos, Videos and Documents | Daminion - looks potentially very useful, but I would have to trial it before I knew how good it was for my needs.
-IainB (July 27, 2015, 01:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

woodr2011:
Hi Ian - Thank you for your kind post (one of the first of its kind on this thread, oddly enough). There are, as you stated, a slew of programs on the open market that come close to what I am talking about, but nearly all of them prioritize style over substance with the definite exception of XYplorer, which was designed by a man who works hard to make the program accessible to a broader audience by adding and tweaking its features. With that being said, any negative comments I make about programs of this nature are NOT in reference to XYplorer.

Many of these programs are presented as an answer to the limitations of Windows Explorer/File Manager, which does not allow for universal file tagging or customizable/searchable columns; however, most of the programs we are talking about actually share that same limitation for reasons that seem to call their very existence into question. I consider the option to add at least 10-20 customizable/searchable columns to be ESSENTIAL to any program of this nature. The values of the columns need to be user defined and completely free of formatting limitations. I am not a programmer or a coder by any means, but I am familiar enough with the basic principles of C++ and relational databases to know that what I am talking about is by no means a challenge to someone who has the skill set.

I had not heard of Qiqqa, but it appears to be more of a file annotation tool (like Evernote) than a document manager. That is a key element of my vision: Reduce the drain on system resources and keep the application desktop-based with only the option to sync with or back to a cloud service like OneDrive.

I use Calibre as a book management tool at the moment, though mostly just for converting between formats. The program is very high class, like XYplorer: Usable, stylish, and specific. Calibre could be used for the purposes I have outlined, but it is hard to get around the notion of clicking a button titled "Add Book" to add a video, audio file, or photograph to the Calibre library... It feels counterintuitive, and that isn't conducive to a happy software experience. I have approached them about this but they, understandably, want to maintain the program's ostensible exclusivity to ebook management. Calibre also creates individual folders for every file added, which could create quite a mess if thousands of files were added to the library.

I would like to partner with someone to try to develop this for my personal use, unless you know of an existing program that is designed for what I am trying to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version