ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Program Proposal: "File Master" Cataloging Software

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
I'm always interested in information management and cataloguing systems and was interested to read @woodr2011's peculiar requirements outlined in the opening post.
Sure, there may be lots of cataloguing packages that provide partial solutions for various collections/cataloguing/library requirements, but I am unaware of anything that may be absolutely comprehensive, though I reckon the Windows Library (a virtual library system) is probably not understood/used as well as it could be.

@highend01 probably makes some useful points about XYplorer which could equally well be applied to other Windows Explorer replacements/alternatives - e.g., (say) xplorer², which I personally have used for years as a tool to to help meet my file information management requirements. However, Windows Explorer replacements/alternatives are not necessarily designed to be cataloguing tools.

What I would suggest is a search and review of what's actually "out there" before jumping in to develop a package of some sort - e,g, Disk catalogue software

From experience, there's not much new under the sun, and that goes for what I might consider my idiosyncratic requirements too.

IainB:
@woodr2011: Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "library science" please?

woodr2011:
@woodr2011: Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "library science" please?
-IainB (July 29, 2015, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Ian - I have never confused curiosity with ignorance. Library Science is the study of categorizing and cataloging of library materials. In terms of my requirements being "peculiar," the features I mention are actually standard to most explorer/disc cataloging programs; however, there isn't a single program that includes ALL of the features I enumerated. I believe XYplorer will reach that mark in the future because the developer is highly sensitive to the requests and needs of the users.

Tuxman:
Also, the developer is arrogant, banning hard-working contributors from his board because their political beliefs are incompatible with his ones.

woodr2011:
Good grief... I only want to know if someone could conceivably develop the program as I described it for my personal use and how much it would cost! I never imagined that asking a question would open such a can of worms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version