topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hi, RAR compressed file, emailed home, opened, extracted  (Read 3676 times)

joelgrizly009

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, RAR compressed file, emailed home, opened, extracted and saved to C:/.... folder. This was a word 2010 file which I worked on and continuously pressed the save icon to save over a few hours. Closed Word to email file and updated document was not found. Odd but word doesnt show any previous versions or unsaved files.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hi, RAR compressed file, emailed home, opened, extracted
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Maybe try to view the list of recently opened files: http://www.nirsoft.n...cent_files_view.html

I don't have any experience with such things happening in MS Word, but there are situations where a Windows feels like you shouldn't be allowed to save a file in the location you are trying to save it, but rather than complain it will save it in a different location while PRETENDING to save it in the location you have asked it.  I forget the directory it saves to in this case, it's some weird hidden directory -- maybe others can remind me?

I wouldn't think MS Word would fall victim to that, but it's possible.  Another thing you might try is to retrace your steps and do the same things again paying more attention to any clues, and see if it saves changes the next time.  Also check the list of recent files in Word.

It doesn't sound like this is what's happened to you, but one thing that i have experienced with a compressed archive before is that my file explorer has a feature that lets you browse inside it as if it was a virtual directory -- and it is possible in some cases to open a file in there for editing while doing this virtual browsing, and think you have opened the actual file, when in reality you are editing a temporary file in a temporary directory.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:57 AM by mouser »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hi, RAR compressed file, emailed home, opened, extracted
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Hi, RAR compressed file, emailed home, opened, extracted and saved to C:/.... folder. This was a word 2010 file which I worked on and continuously pressed the save icon to save over a few hours. Closed Word to email file and updated document was not found. Odd but word doesnt show any previous versions or unsaved files.
-joelgrizly009 (July 25, 2015, 07:11 AM)
Try looking for the file name (not the extension) with MasterSeeker that will scan all of your disk, maybe you opened the word file from the rar archive, then it is extracted into to temp folder (erased when you close the .rar) and saved versions are saved in this temp folder, when you exit word Winrar asks if you want to to update the rar file, if you answered cancel or no, changes are lost...
.merle1.