ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SOLVED] Boot problem/s

<< < (3/6) > >>

MilesAhead:

I ran into this exact problem last year after replacing the hard drive in a Dell laptop. The restore process is supposed to hide that partition at the end of the restore process, but doesn't necessarily do so. IIRC I found a way to do it from the command line. If I get some time, I'll see if I can find the command I used.
-Vurbal (July 24, 2015, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably diskpart.  Run it from an administrative command prompt(or elevated as they say these days.)

edit: This tutorial on a Vista system changes a recovery partition to show it by changing the type to 07. Supposedly 07 is visible ntfs 17 is hidden and 27 is a recovery partition.  If 17 doesn't work try 27.  :)

http://defaultreasoning.com/2009/05/29/unhide-the-recovery-partition-on-a-basic-disk-with-diskpart/

Vurbal:

I ran into this exact problem last year after replacing the hard drive in a Dell laptop. The restore process is supposed to hide that partition at the end of the restore process, but doesn't necessarily do so. IIRC I found a way to do it from the command line. If I get some time, I'll see if I can find the command I used.
-Vurbal (July 24, 2015, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably diskpart.  Run it from an administrative command prompt(or elevated as they say these days.)

edit: This tutorial on a Vista system changes a recovery partition to show it by changing the type to 07. Supposedly 07 is visible ntfs 17 is hidden and 27 is a recovery partition.  If 17 doesn't work try 27.  :)

http://defaultreasoning.com/2009/05/29/unhide-the-recovery-partition-on-a-basic-disk-with-diskpart/

-MilesAhead (July 24, 2015, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

This was actually one of Dell's command line utilities, but yeah, DiskPart should do the job.

Apparently I did just use diskpart, at least according to what I posted here at the time.

For anyone unfortunate enough to get stuck repairing a Dell with DataSafe (a truly ironic name) backup software, I do now have a few words of advice. The first word that comes to mind is run and that's only halfway joking.

It seems someone at Dell came up with the brilliant idea of integrating half assed backup software with the Windows deployment process. Actually that's not exactly right which is really the problem. Instead of launching their proprietary tools inside the deployment process, a successful restore required me to use their tool directly so it could select the correct (original) install image rather than the DataSafe backup which just looked like it was the original.

Also, since Dell decided to leave the recovery partition accessible from Windows, when the Win7 upgrade ran it used it as the boot partition and changed it from E: to C:. That, of course, isn't nearly as problematic as the fact the upgrade obviously had to also make it the active partition. On the good side I can now definitively say I haven't forgotten how to use diskpart.

The tl;dr version goes something like this. After booting with a Windows disc I started by making the correct (OS) partition active. Next I used imagex to manually apply what various Internet sources indicated was the factory image. In reality it ended up a backup from some point which at least got me to the point DataSafe was available from the Windows repair menu. When I booted the next time I let DataSafe do another restore which applied the actual factory image.
-Vurbal (April 02, 2014, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Also, since Dell decided to leave the recovery partition accessible from Windows, when the Win7 upgrade ran it used it as the boot partition and changed it from E: to C:.
--- End quote ---

I think there's clue in there for me - I restored the Boot partition (via Aomei Backerupper) - no joy, I then restored the OS partition - still no change.
I'll have to have a look see which the active partition (and maybe restore the Recovery partition too).

tomos:
Also, since Dell decided to leave the recovery partition accessible from Windows, when the Win7 upgrade ran it used it as the boot partition and changed it from E: to C:.
--- End quote ---

I think there's clue in there for me - I restored the Boot partition (via Aomei Backerupper) - no joy, I then restored the OS partition - still no change.
I'll have to have a look see which the active partition (and maybe restore the Recovery partition too).
-tomos (July 24, 2015, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, here's the flags for the partitions - I'm presuming (but unsure) that the OS one should be boot - what do ye think?

1st partition[noname]lba39MiB / 213 KiB used2nd partitioonRecoveryboot3rd partition[noname=OS][no flags]

MilesAhead:
I think OS being Boot on a single OS system is a safe bet.   :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version