ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SOLVED] Boot problem/s

(1/6) > >>

tomos:
see reply #18 for the solution. As I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, I cant be 100% sure what fixed it.
All I can say is be afraid of DELL's boot and partition management - be very afraid...

Dell Latitude E5550 Laptop:

Summary, so far...
# Windows 7 machine will boot to Windows Sartup Repair, but not further. See update below for details from Startup Repair diagnosis.
# System restore to before problem started did not help.

Update:
(taken from Reply #6)

Hiren's Linux worked:
# I got the user files off of it
# I deleted Hiberfile.sys

The machine does still boot to Windows Startup Repair, but still not any further.
I now see Startup Repair says:
-------------------------
Root cause found:
-------------------------
Boot configuration is corrupt
Result, Failed. Error Code = 0x3
-----------------------------

According to MS, the 0x3 code is:
-------------------------------------
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
3 (0x3)
The system cannot find the path specified.
-----------------------------------

There are three partitions:
# Dell Recovery
# OS
# Boot

I have one image of whole drive courtesy Aomei Backerupper -
will try restore the boot one, but too late now for me (1am here) - will have a go tomorrow.

[What broke it is another story :-/ possibly caused by trying to create an image via DOS (using Eassos Partition Guru). Something about the DELL setup and that did not work on  reboot. Or could possibly be hardware related, but I suspect not]

Original Post, some relevant details maybe...[1] Most immediate problem:
Blue screen: I am unable to reboot; battery is not removable - this will solve itself eventually when the battery runs down - but is there any other way of forcing it?
(I've put the screen on maximum brightness to speed up that process.)

[edit]
I did try:
# pressed power button - no response; tried it for a few seconds, nothing
# tried Ctrl+Alt+Del a few times - nothing
# the machine does not seem to have any reset button
[/edit]

[2] Immediate background:
I was trying to start the machine with Hirens boot USB stick, selected the mini XP option.
Got error:
0x000000A5 (0x00000003, 0x8BE651D4, 0xC0140008, 0x494E495F)
According to MS the solution is to delete Hyberfile.sys
If the problem persists, start the computer by using the Windows CD or by using an emergency startup disk, and then delete the Hiberfil.sys file.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/831691

So, if/when I can reboot, I plan to try with Hirens Linux option and delete that file (and if I'm lucky 'normal' windows will start again - but that's for another post).

Any suggestions welcome - will let you know how I get on anyways ;-)

EDIT// corrected th error code

MilesAhead:
You mean you hold down the Power Button and it won't shut down?  (I know.  Dumb question.  But I have to ask.)

tomos:
You mean you hold down the Power Button and it won't shut down?  (I know.  Dumb question.  But I have to ask.)
-MilesAhead (July 23, 2015, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

should have said that myself - no, it doesnt work:
# pressed power button - no response; tried it for a few seconds, nothing
# tried Ctrl+Alt+Del a few times - nothing

TaoPhoenix:

I thought there were command line options that forced something to reboot.

Or maybe you could do one of those updates that "forces reboot now"! : )

tomos:
^ well, with the machine not responding, any updates are going to have to wait a while :D

I thought that you got a forced reboot after a blue screen - but the circumstances are a bit unusual - it's a blue screen from Hirens boot USB / mini XP on a Windows 7 machine, that is already borked. But if I'm lucky, it might mean I inadvertently found the root problem with the OS.

[Still waiting, will probably leave it overnight and have another go in the morning]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version