ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Thoughts on "next generation" forum systems? (Discourse, nodeBB, etc.)

<< < (5/6) > >>

Tuxman:
I guess it's the structure. I tried discussing on discourse.org once and failed several times to find my discussion later. It just lacks clarity.

JavaJones:
Hmm, I haven't had that problem. Do you know what made it difficult for you? I'm curious, from a usability standpoint. Missing features (e.g. finding own posts when viewing own profile), confusing "watch"/notification functionality, something else?

- Oshyan

Tuxman:
All of them.
You know, I've been using "classic" forums for about 15 years now; maybe new people who are used to Facebook's way of displaying your messages (i.e. you're lucky if you find what you were looking for) have less problems than I do.

New forum software developers seem to think that everything has to be different - even the good parts.

JavaJones:
I've been using classic forums for about 20 years, and I hate FB. Discourse I am not yet sure about, I *really* like some aspects, dislike others. But it's a young system and they're actively improving it. Watching the Meta forums on Discourse.org you see a lot of interesting discussion and development and it's encouraging, to me at least.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
I've been using classic forums for about 20 years, and I hate FB. Discourse I am not yet sure about, I *really* like some aspects, dislike others. But it's a young system and they're actively improving it. Watching the Meta forums on Discourse.org you see a lot of interesting discussion and development and it's encouraging, to me at least.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (July 23, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using 'classic' forums for quite a while, and have liked some, and not liked others.  In the end, it's a matter of the community rather than the features to me as a user.  On the admin side, that's a different ball of wax.  But in use, it really doesn't matter- each has things I like and don't like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version