topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: UK to ban encrypted messenger services to combat the specter of ISIS  (Read 3429 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
From the you-just-cannot-make-this-stuff-up department:

http://techti.me/201...the-specter-of-isis/

British Prime Minister David Cameron hopes to have access to all means of electronic communication by anyone in the country and ban the use of encrypted apps such as Facebook Messenger, Snapchat and iMessage unless they agree to provide backdoors.

Now... just to put this in perspective... everything is so utterly insane and upside down that I've not seen this particular tidbit picked up at Techdirt.  :o

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Yes. Perfect plan! Because criminals obey all laws, especially the ones that ban them from doing certain things or using certain things.

And we will soon be able to enjoy all communication of the UK government, as well as access to all UK bank accounts.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... and now you know what ISIS is really for.

*edvard ducks and covers in the basement

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
People who really want <whatever>, will <whatever>.

Read somewhere that communication takes place on web accounts where someone writes a message and leaves it open without finishing it. The party for whom the message is intended logs into the same account, sees the open message and does whatever with it. No need for encryption and it will take major effort on the spying party to get to the information they seek. Especially when that is done on random intervals on different locations. No need for encryption and hiding in "plain sight", so to speak. 

And those UK parliament nitwits want access to encrypted traffic (customer-bank communication, communication between different energy companies and customers, etc)? Aren't there national lawyers in the UK to fight for prevention of (digital) identity theft by criminals and/or government? Note that I still make a distinction between them, although I am not so sure I should nowadays.

e712

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In history, in case you think our times unique, Turkey banned the typewriter.  It made it too difficult to capture kidnappers from examining their ransom notes. :)