ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you resist buying ever more powerful PCs?

<< < (5/7) > >>

kyrathaba:
I don't do any high-end video-gaming, so I really don't need a potent graphics card or fastest CPU available. However, I do notice that the 3.0 GHz i5 computer I use at work loads my portable apps launcher noticeably quicker than the 2.41 GHz J2900 chip and 8 Gb of Ram on my home machine. Right now, I've got two systems linked on a home network -- a 2.41 GHz machine on 8Gb Ram, and a 2.8 GHz machine on 6Gb Ram, both running Windows 10. No need to change, based upon my needs.

Curt:
..., not knowing what I needed the most, a new smart phone, a new television, or a new PC ...-Curt (July 17, 2015, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ demanding "friends" made me make a middle of the road choice and buy a new cell phone, not "smart", but talk & sms only! I was hoping this would make me able to have a new television before the world cup in team handball begins in December.

A new computer will apparently have to wait  :(

Josh:
Easy! I look at my wallet and my bank account and begin to laugh!

TaoPhoenix:
I don't do any high-end video-gaming, so I really don't need a potent graphics card or fastest CPU available.

... both running Windows 10. No need to change, based upon my needs.
-kyrathaba (September 05, 2015, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am fortunate enough to have a "coupon" for a new computer for my recent Birthday! (Wheezing "I'm an ooold birdy. I had Denver the last Dinosaur's Father for a pet!")

But based on some of you gang's comments, I first said, "well, so I lost my D Drive, but before we go all gung ho, I'd first like to take it to a good comp guy (better than Staples or Best Buy) to see if it's just a loose cable, and then next, just do some hardware tests, because if the main line motherboards and stuff are fine, I'm dying to try out dual booting into Win 10 which is what I designed this machine for - the future. And then even if not, salvage the existing C drive and make it the new backup data drive to save work cross copying everything everywhere on a new machine.)

(And it makes me want THREE HD's in a new system if possible / sensible, with some kind of better mirror system going! The system I had *almost worked* except I got sloppy!)

I also remarked that in my long term plan designed a decade ago, it is now known as Win 10, and we're just too new on the cusp to know where any of it shakes out, and if there's any gremlins lurking that will show up quasi soon that are game changers.

The only performance problems I have tend to be browsers getting sloppy and chewing up cpu and/or memory, and some HD type failures and struggles that I just want a competent check-out on. (Well, a slowly creaking OS, I guess.) But User side, I mean, it's not like the old days you just wailed at the aging state of the tech at the time - I still essentially have nearly all I need on this system I built with a buddy a decade ago.

jadinolf:
I can't spend any more money for a while because I'm saving for my girl friend's 18th birthday present.

Yeah, I'm 81 years old--gotta problem with that? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version