ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you resist buying ever more powerful PCs?

(1/7) > >>

kyrathaba:
So, recently I purchased my stepson a serviceable refurbished Win7 machine. And while shopping, naturally I find a unit or two that I sure wouldn't mind having:

Intel Quad Core 3.4GHz i7-4770 32GB 1TB SSD + 2 x 3TB 7200rpm RAID 1 HDD Windows 7 Professional...

Thing is, my current setup (Win 7 Ultimate, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD with a 2.8 GHz cpu) is more than adequate for my simple needs: a bit of programming, web browsing, proofreading for pay, emailing.

So I've learned over the years to resist these urges and usually in 2-4 weeks they pass. How do you deal with them?

exjoburger:
Maybe I've grown cynical with age, but eventually you realize that there will always be something better and faster with more memory and disk space.

(It also helps to get married, or have kids, or a high maintenance girlfriend or boyfriend, or Harley)

mouser:
I find in general if I can dismiss the urge quickly, it will go away.

But if i start thinking about it more and more and "analyzing" whether i should buy something -- the "analysis" eventually turns into my brain coming up with some poorly rationalized justification of why i should buy it and why it's really not such a large amount of money to spend.  Sooner or later it's almost as if i have to buy it just to stop thinking about it!

kyrathaba:
Yeah, I think I'm doing the same sort of justification, mouser. The PC I've got is functioning just fine, and more than ample for my needs. But, I make a few hundred extra bucks a month proofreading, and I think to myself, "Go ahead. Treat yourself. You deserve it..."

superboyac:
Maybe I've grown cynical with age, but eventually you realize that there will always be something better and faster with more memory and disk space.

(It also helps to get married, or have kids, or a high maintenance girlfriend or boyfriend, or Harley)

-exjoburger (July 14, 2015, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
lol at this answer.  so true.

I struggle with this also.  The way I handle it is by researching obsessively the equipment I'm eyeing, and if i can put together an actual project that I will do something with, then I start buying the stuff.  It took me 3 years before i started my server project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version