ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DonationCoder Major Upgrades - Progress Report Thread

<< < (5/32) > >>

Tuxman:
Drupal sucks. From a security perspective as well as from a UX perspective. But that might be just me.

Regarding the choice of the "new" forum system: I - as a user - am glad that DC sticks to the "old" Curved theme and SMF. There's not much that sucks more with forum upgrades than having a completely different system afterwards. I am afraid that SMF2 (I hope the final relaunch will use the much improved v2.1 which is about to leave the beta phase soon) is - more or less - a dead cow, with the initial release of version 2.0 facing many forks like ElkArte (they even provide a SMF fallback theme) and the heavily customized Wedge and many original developers parting their ways.

Admittedly, it could be worse. Discourse or NodeBB, for example, have really awful user interfaces. Or just another XenForo.  :sick:

mouser:
I'm having second thoughts about Drupal again too, but I've decided to punt on that for now.

I've got my eye on 2.1 and hopefully the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 will be relatively painless when it is suitable for production use.  I agree with your concerns about smf but judge it to be the best way forward for us.

You seem to be following these trends pretty seriously -- perhaps i can chew your ear over email occasionally about the issues? ([email protected])

Tuxman:
I'm not really deep into SMF (currently I'm working on some ElkArte modding though), but I keep at least three eyes on board systems.

You got mail.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
I'm coding a few slick new features.. How about a (sortable) page where you can see all the topics ... (or alternatively, participated in by) a given member? I'm having fun!
-mouser (July 16, 2015, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me, I have no interest in who started a topic - topics just appear.

So for me, "participated in by" is the power feature ...

- You can find (and cringe!) at all the things you were involved in

- You can find things other people were involved in, that slipped past that "10 topics per day" dashboard.

JavaJones:
Tuxman, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about Discourse. I "discovered" it some months ago (or perhaps re-discovered) and I have kind of a love/hate relationship with it. I'm not actively running it on any sites mind you, so my experiences are limited. I absolutely *love* some aspects of it (the default design is not one of them), and I really like what their goals are, what they're trying to do. But as I said I do have issues with the design, and there are some other concerns too. So I'd be interested in hearing your perspective, especially since you said you're tinkering with some SMF forks (don't know why I didn't think to look for some before now!). Perhaps this should be split off into its own thread? :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version