ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Partitioning or Not w. single HDD?

<< < (4/6) > >>

tomos:
The other consideration is very soon we are supposed to see high capacity SSDs cheap.  Fragmentation and thrashing considerations disappear.  Just stick the stuff where you want.
-MilesAhead (July 07, 2015, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

this is very much a factor for the future - drive is 500GB. I would like to replace with same size SSD within the next year or two (or when they come down in price).
Because of that, I'd like to create an image of the OS - and do a test-restore - to be sure it works on at least a regular HDD.

tomos:
The software is called Cameyo. Instructions on how to use it are here.

Virtualizing for your own personal use only? Go here.
-Shades (July 07, 2015, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

that looks interesting :up:

EDIT//
on the pricing/compare-editions link, they list the free version for 'Home & SMB' use - which I presume is small business.

ewemoa:
The software is called Cameyo. Instructions on how to use it are here.

Virtualizing for your own personal use only? Go here.
-Shades (July 07, 2015, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for sharing!

Stoic Joker:
While I've long been an advocate of the multiple partition scheme (OS/Working/Storage). As of late I'm starting to think that a single partition may be a better way to go. Because the intention behind the 3 partitions was to make reinstalling the OS easier in the event of a disaster of some kind.

However, I currently strongly suspect that I may be trying to solve the wrong problem...because I haven't had to reinstall the OS since 2007 when I first built the machine. :-\ So...

Since I have had numerous occasions where space became an issue...I'm starting to think a One-And-Done approach could very well save me some aggravation in the future. Also since I'm still firmly entrenched in Spinner Land. This will eliminate pushing my workspace into a slower part of the drive in attempt to leave sufficient room for expansion for the OS. And also gives me only one constantly moving point on the drive where write activity is concentrated...instead of 3 somewhat stationary points..

MilesAhead:
Also since I'm still firmly entrenched in Spinner Land.
-Stoic Joker (July 08, 2015, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Auslogics Defrag 6 just added features and I only ran it once.  But the previous versions of the free Auslogics Defrag I have used for years.  If you have one big partition with more than 60% free space(I like to shoot for 70% at least when I am about to defrag) the plain vanilla defrag completes in about 5 minutes.  I run it maybe 3 or 4 times a week.  But since it only takes 5 minutes or so, it is no strain.

Maybe every 10th defrag I do the "move system files to the front" option.  The main drawback to one big partition is when you do a backup image of the system, everything on C: is included.  Even so, with cheaper larger USB sticks and incremental backups, even I, with no shelf space, can keep my system backed up.

As you point out, sometimes optimization means spending your time on fixing stuff that is broken rather than fixing stuff that works pretty well already.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version