ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Partitioning or Not w. single HDD?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Shades:
I always divide up any hard disk in at least 3 partitions, but my preference is 4 of those.

One partition for Windows (and literally nothing else).
One partition for software I install.
One partition for data.
One partition for temporary storage.

On the Windows partition I move every user-related folder to my data partition using the Windows options that are available to me.
On the Windows partition I move every temporary storage-folder (user and system) to the temporary storage partition using the Windows options that are available to me.
On the Windows partition I make the page file 8GByte in size and won't allow it to grow above that. On a normal PC I disable hibernation.
Whenever I install software, I select the software partition as it's home. And because I am the only user, I use portable versions of software I wherever I can. And if that is not an option, I have some software that allows me to make portable versions of software that requires installation normally.

Why do I go through all that trouble?
The Windows partition is hardly ever written to (besides updates). This reduces the need to defrag it drastically. And the Windows file system will after some time have placed the files in their optimal position on that partition. This way you can make the Windows partition lean and mean. And it will stay that way. I normally allocate about 25GByte for the Windows partition.

The same is true for the partition that contains my software, especially when you don't install new software on a regular basis. I usually allocate 100GByte for the software partition, which is  enough, because I make sure to configure applications to work with and store everything on the data partition. I must add that I hardly play any games anymore.

As a result the data partition and temporary storage partitions get a bit messy. I usually allocate 25GByte to the temporary storage partition, mainly because I don't think I need that much garbage on my system to begin with. The rest is for the data partition. I don't care too much about the content of the temp partition and wipe it clean at least once month. Saves me defrag session as well  ;)

That leaves the data partition, that one does need a defrag once in a while, but not nearly as often as you think. And even on that partition the Windows file system will find the optimum location for the content after some time.

Exaggerated? Perhaps, but in my mind all of the above makes perfect sense. There are many schools of thought regarding this subject and most are there on merit. Just couldn't help adding my  :two:

ewemoa:
On the Windows partition I move every user-related folder to my data partition using the Windows options that are available to me.
-Shades (July 06, 2015, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Never quite managed to figure out how to do this well and comprehensively -- over the years I kept getting the feeling that Windows goes out of its way to make it difficult to store user information on a separate partition from the system.  Perhaps there are some economic reasons...

Whenever I install software, I select the software partition as it's home. And because I am the only user, I use portable versions of software I wherever I can.

--- End quote ---

I tried to separate data from apps, but I found that it wasn't always so easy -- it was hard enough finding appropriate portable apps, but often difficult to find apps that are portable AND allow one's settings to be stored separately from the apps.  I guess many folks don't perceive app settings to be user data :)

And if that is not an option, I have some software that allows me to make portable versions of software that requires installation normally.

--- End quote ---

Didn't go down this path -- the main thing that I made an exception for not being portable (though did try a portable version for a while) was VirtualBox.  There were a number of tools that looked promising -- if you don't mind sharing, what did you find that worked well?

tomos:
^ Lots to think about here ^
(thanks all)

I would normally move the 'My' folders to a separate partition. On my desktop, I have temp and data on a separate drive, but dont have that option here.
Am encouraged that you have these in separate partitions on the same drive Shades (and dont seem to be having any negatives).

I see that appdata on my desktop (also Win.7x64) is at ~ 7GB (!) That would have to be backed up anyways, so I will have a look for options for moving it (this seems a bit complicated and requires a -- presumably non-oem -- windows install disc, which I dont have).

Shades:
The software is called Cameyo. Instructions on how to use it are here.

Virtualizing for your own personal use only? Go here.

MilesAhead:
The other consideration is very soon we are supposed to see high capacity SSDs cheap.  Fragmentation and thrashing considerations disappear.  Just stick the stuff where you want.

There may be an easy way to move your user files using symbolic links. I think a utility for Steam does this. It is a freeware around someplace.  I never used it but saw it mentioned on forums.  That may be one way to avoid resizing your partitions once you have them laid out. It worked fine for me in Linux.  When a partition started to get filled up I just put a symbolic link for it to point to a folder on a larger partition.  Very transparent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version