ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Partitioning or Not w. single HDD?

<< < (2/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
But I say stable setup because then you have an idea how large to make the system partition.  The tendency is to make it pretty lean.  But if you like to install lots of utilities then over time you may find the size that seemed adequate starts to feel a bit tight.
-MilesAhead (July 06, 2015, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you install Windows, the O/S will eventually, over time, decide to use more space than you have allocated to the system drive. Just sayin'.
-x16wda (July 06, 2015, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. It does tend to sneak up on you.  Even if you install programs on another partition or drive they seem to always want to stick something in Windows\System32 or ProgramData or someplace on C:  That is why it is good to have a top quality partition program.  Windows disk management is not as flexible about resizing partitions.  Partition Magic used to bail me out frequently.  I could resize partitions even moving the starting positions, easily.  I changed things around all the time without ever getting hosed.  Of course that was in the good old days of XP and earlier.  :)

mouser:
I just want to echo what others have said -- it's very hard to choose a partition size that you don't later feel the need to change :)

I have for a long time advocated having separate DRIVES for windows vs data, and would prefer that, with a single partition on each drive.

Absent that, if I did have to use a single drive, and it was a big drive (terrabyte or so), I would split it into 2 partitions, to make things cleaner.  I would probably split it in half and use the first partition for the operating system AND a giant temp/working directory, with the second partition for my data.

ewemoa:
If you install Windows, the O/S will eventually, over time, decide to use more space than you have allocated to the system drive.
-x16wda (July 06, 2015, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I try to leave some unallocated space after the system partition (indeed after every partition) -- this can help to make resizing later more practical.

IIUC, these days Windows (at least 7?) can resize the system partition while in operation -- this has helped a few times around here.

MilesAhead:

IIUC, these days Windows (at least 7?) can resize the system partition while in operation -- this has helped a few times around here.
-ewemoa (July 06, 2015, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right.  But I believe it can still only move the back end.  IOW when looking at drive management, the right hand side can be shortened or extended.  But I don't think it will move the left hand end or beginning of the system partition.  Partition Magic would.  Although it had to do it from boot.  To extend or shorten the back end PM could do it while running also.

ewemoa:
Yes, that's how I remember it too -- this tends to work along with : "I try to leave some unallocated space after the system partition (indeed after every partition)" :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version