ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be prepared against ransomware viruses..

<< < (11/15) > >>

Deozaan:
Interesting to read that there is no real decryption, just the use of backup and other solutions to recover files !
-MerleOne (April 21, 2016, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think there is a real decryption if you pay the ransom. But if you don't pay the ransom, you don't get the encryption key and therefore you can't really decrypt anything. So you have to restore from backups.

MerleOne:
Interesting to read that there is no real decryption, just the use of backup and other solutions to recover files !
-MerleOne (April 21, 2016, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think there is a real decryption if you pay the ransom. But if you don't pay the ransom, you don't get the encryption key and therefore you can't really decrypt anything. So you have to restore from backups.
-Deozaan (April 21, 2016, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what I meant, I like for instance the trick that consists in using Windows System Restore features to recover previous versions of files. Provided SR is activated and running...

Stoic Joker:
Many of the ransomware variants actively destroy/encrypt any backups they can find - and they look - so this isn't a magic bullet of any kind. You would need a backup that was offline at the time of the infection for this to be a complete solution.

Shades:
Although a bit far fetched for some...but I have no trouble imagining data stored in your cloud solution could be affected by such a virus/malware too, especially when you use the syncing capabilities provided by your cloud solution.

As Stoic Joker said...there is no substitute for an offline backup (at the time of infection). 

holt:
I have the paid version of cryptoprevent; "CryptoPrevent is an Anti-Virus/Security Software Supplement, originally designed to prevent infection from the CryptoLocker threat which emerged in late 2013. Since that time, CryptoPrevent has grown into a robust solution, providing protection against a wide range of ransomware and other malware.

CryptoPrevent doesn’t stop there.  We are continuing development efforts to expand the software into something more than just a ‘security’ solution."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version