ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be prepared against ransomware viruses..

<< < (7/15) > >>

mouser:
Unknown.  However, while they are relatively pc-savvy, they have been, until now, very cavalier about security.

bit:
I remember LaBrea.  The original author almost abandoned the project, citing potential legal action against him because the nature of LaBrea goes against certain provisions of the Federal Wiretap Act, namely:
Any person who intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication…intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection; intentionally uses, or endeavors to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection…
--- End quote ---

Basically, LaBrea does exactly that; intercepts electronic communication.  How that actually would play out in the courts is another matter, as TechRepublic's John McCormick pointed out back in 2003:
You probably think that this is a really stupid idea—the concept that you could be violating the law merely by monitoring what a trespasser does on a system you own. But that’s just your common sense speaking, and any lawyer will tell you that the law has little or nothing to do with common sense.
--- End quote ---

I think the honeypot concept mouser is talking about involves more of a "mousetrap" aspect; an application places a special file or fake network connection that looks (to a ransomware program) like something it would want to access and modify, but is in fact actively monitored by said 'honeypot' application such that when the file or network is accessed, the process doing the access is immediately targeted and shut down.  Sounds like a good idea to me; how to implement?  Beyond me.
-Edvard (June 28, 2015, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I made a note of highlighting the LaBrea article's prehistoric date, partly in hopes that an updated version might address such legal or technical concerns.
But I knew it was a long shot from the get-go.
Mouser's thread at least made me aware of the danger, to the point that I've added a second backup DVD for work I do, that I keep physically removed from my machine.

Giampy:
an application places a special file or fake network connection that looks (to a ransomware program) like something it would want to access and modify...
How to implement?
-Edvard (June 28, 2015, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it perhaps called virtualization?

Giampy:
Reading your messages I get perplexed. You talk about things that already exist for many years.

bit:
Reading your messages I get perplexed. You talk about things that already exist for many years.
-Giampy (June 29, 2015, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hi Giampy, your next post will be your 400th, in case you might want to go to the;
When you make your 100'th Post thread
and make your 400th post there.  :Thmbsup:

^Yes, if you meant me, the keywords 'already exist for many years', 'LaBrea', and 'prehistoric' made for a string with some unintentional dry wit.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version