ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ahem . . . has your antivirus program been compromised by GCHQ and NSA?

(1/2) > >>

Joe Hone:
I don't think this has been posted here. The Intercept reported Monday: "The National Security Agency and its British counterpart, Government Communications Headquarters, have worked to subvert anti-virus and other security software in order to track users and infiltrate networks, according to documents from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden." There is quite a list of potentially targeted antivirus programs. The article mentions how Kaspersky Lab was singled out by GCHQ and makes the ironic observation that Kaspersky has been a thorn in GCHQ and NSA's side by uncovering superviruses that appear to have been created by those agencies. It is a good read.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/06/22/nsa-gchq-targeted-kaspersky/

Tuxman:
Just another reason to stop using snake oil software.

Curt:
“Anti-virus products, with only a few exceptions, are years behind security-conscious client-side applications like browsers or document readers . It means that Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Word or Google Chrome are harder to exploit than 90 percent of the anti-virus products out there.”
--- End quote ---

They don't tell who the few exceptions are, except maybe Kaspersky.

MilesAhead:
-Tuxman (June 25, 2015, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

A friend of mine had a boss who liked to say "using a prophylactic is like taking a shower with a raincoat on."  I feel the same way about computing with av running.  :)

Stoic Joker:
-Tuxman (June 25, 2015, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

A friend of mine had a boss who liked to say "using a prophylactic is like taking a shower with a raincoat on."  I feel the same way about computing with av running.  :)-MilesAhead (June 27, 2015, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or something like this perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version