ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

<< < (11/12) > >>

MilesAhead:
Samsung has just introduced a 15.36 TB SSD in a standard 2.5 inch form factor.  That's over 50% greater capacity than the largest hard disk drive available today.

-xtabber (August 13, 2015, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

If Windows 7 sends a Trim command, doe it ever complete?  :)

I would love to see a 512 GB SSD for $20(shipping included.)

xtabber:
Western Digital is buying SanDisk for $19 billion.

I guess I'm not the only one who sees a future without spinning iron platters.

Tuxman:
I thought Western Digital stood for quality once.

f0dder:
Oh and Renegade, you DID mismatch the two devices right? RAID1 of SSDs is not safe if you ordered both devices around the same time and they have been together in the raid the whole time. The result is that they will die by way of media wearout within a few days of one another usually.-SeraphimLabs (June 25, 2015, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
I really wouldn't be worried about an SSD dying from wear-out unless have really heavy workloads... in which case you know you're abusing the drive, and thus have an orderly plan for swapping them out in good time.

All the SSD deaths I've seen have been from firmware bugs (the early days) or flaky electronics. I wouldn't bother with batch-avoidance, and would just order identical SSDs :)

Shades:
Western Digital likely wants the patents regarding solid state storage that Sandisk possesses and as a bonus they also get a way into Toshiba. SanDisk and Toshiba have a long lasting partnership regarding storage technology. The know-how that comes with this deal, I would imagine, is very important for a company as Western Digital. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version