ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

<< < (10/12) > >>

Shades:
@Deozaan:
And when a hack (buffer overflow) occurs in a machine with this type of memory...does that mean that the hack remains present until (that part of) the memory is actually overwritten?

Seems like a huge security risk.

This means also that programmers need to be working more with memory again...something that higher computer languages do automatically, because many programmers made even more mistakes with this than these automatic routines do.

Another doom scenario: If a computer with this type of RAM is used in security sensitive ways...you only need to steal the computer, take out the RAM modules and (rather) simply read these out.  Encryption isn't that useful because the memory will be accessed (much) slower, nullifying the speed advantage this type of RAM has over traditional RAM modules.

Until now this invention sounds great for fast pen drives...however, I'm not (yet) convinced about its ability to replace RAM.

Deozaan:
@Deozaan:
And when a hack (buffer overflow) occurs in a machine with this type of memory...does that mean that the hack remains present until (that part of) the memory is actually overwritten?-Shades (July 30, 2015, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I really don't know anything about this technology. I imagine it will be like traditional storage (HDD/SSD), but super fast like RAM. That is, no need to store things in memory temporarily. And things that are meant to be temporary will no longer have pointers pointing to them once they're no longer needed, much like deleting a file from your HDD doesn't actually erase it until you write to that sector. As far as the harddrive/memory cares it's just a random bit.

But again, I need to stress that I don't really know how RAM works, nor do I know how this new Xpoint memory stuff works.

kyrathaba:
I took the plunge and went with mini PCs for replacements (Gigabyte Brix and Compulab Fit), using only SSD internally running Windows 7. With hundreds of hours of use and large amounts of data transferred, including dozens of different software programs, neither one has so much as burped...
--- End quote ---

I'm running an itty-bitty PC -- the Lenovo ThinkCentre M53 Tiny. Love it! 8 GB RAM and a 120GB SSD for the OS...

xtabber:
Samsung has just introduced a 15.36 TB SSD in a standard 2.5 inch form factor.  That's over 50% greater capacity than the largest hard disk drive available today.

jadinolf:
I have 4 computers and 4 SSDs.

Honestly, I don't need 15 Tb. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version