ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

<< < (9/12) > >>

Deozaan:
They could form The Last LLC and all their products could be branded The Last.

Whatever product they made, it would be The Last product.

MilesAhead:
They could form The Last LLC and all their products could be branded The Last.

Whatever product they made, it would be The Last product.
-Deozaan (July 25, 2015, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  I think I formed my last LLC.  Unless some pleasant surprise provides incentive.  Maybe I should incorporate in Delaware like the big boys? 

xtabber:
Just over a month ago,  when I started this thread, my thinking was that a decade from now, hard disks would still be around, but only for low cost offline storage.

The announcement last week by Intel and Micron of what they call 3D Xpoint memory technology has changed that.  This is non-volatile memory capable of densities up to 10 times greater than NAND, byte-addressable (unlike NAND, which is addressed in blocks) and as fast as DRAM.

Intel+Micron claim that this is not a lab concept, but a product which they expect to bring to market within a year.  If so, I'd expect NAND prices to fall even faster and SSDs to become the standard for low cost offline storage. I'd also expect that a decade from now, nobody will even be making HDDs.

Deozaan:
The announcement last week by Intel and Micron of what they call 3D Xpoint memory technology has changed that.  This is non-volatile memory capable of densities up to 10 times greater than NAND, byte-addressable (unlike NAND, which is addressed in blocks) and as fast as DRAM.-xtabber (July 29, 2015, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

The announcement video seems like something out of the early 90s, but it explains what's going on:

Tuxman:
According to Information Week, the end of 2015 will see SSDs with greater capacity than any hard disks currently available and SSDs are expected to be cost competitive with hard disks by the end of 2016.
-xtabber (June 22, 2015, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure. Also, no one will use a device with a real keyboard anymore, yadda yadda.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version