ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

<< < (8/12) > >>

superboyac:
An 8TB single drive is a beautiful thing.-superboyac (July 21, 2015, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Until it dies.
-4wd (July 21, 2015, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but they're (relatively) cheap enough to buy two (or more) for redundancy. :)
-Deozaan (July 22, 2015, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
exactly.  I learned my lesson with the IBM deathstars.  I buy drives 2 at a time now.  Always even numbers.

wraith808:
Hard disks can become too big to fail...
-Shades (July 22, 2015, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do they get a bailout at that point?

MilesAhead:
Hard disks can become too big to fail...
-Shades (July 22, 2015, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do they get a bailout at that point?
-wraith808 (July 22, 2015, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a good thing they have that 8TB drive.  They will need it to store the debt that is being kept off the books.  Got to store that huge number someplace.  ;)

JavaJones:
I think if you look at storage trends, the increase in size of mechanical HDs has been slower (relatively speaking) than the increase in size of flash-based solid-state storage. That's where much of the research is being focused now too (for good reason), and so naturally innovation is faster there. Mechanical drives have also been knocking on the doors of *physical* limitations for a while now, and although there always seems to be an innovation around the corner that extends things a good bit, it almost certainly gets harder and harder. Meanwhile, if capacity really needs to be increased for SSD, one could always just have a bigger physical package. Current drives are all 2.5" form factor, but you could easily quadruple capacity by making a full-sized form factor (not sure if cooling would become an issue, but probably a fixable one if so). That says nothing of pricing, of course, but that has been falling consistently for years, so it's really only a matter of time before the graph lines of hard drive's slowing capacity increase crosses the line of SSD's decreasing costs and increasing capacity... I think it will be another year or two, but not a ton more time...

- Oshyna

MilesAhead:
Just to create a curiosity some company should make The Last Desktop, with The Last Spinner for HD and The Last Version of Windows as OS.  Input would be via The Last Kedyboard and The Last Pointing Device.  Video would be displayed on The Last CRT Monitor and audio would be played on The Last Stereo Speakers.

For power you plug it into The Last A/C Wall Socket.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version