ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

<< < (4/12) > >>

phitsc:
Next time I will be more precise and call it "storage device"...that should make everyone happy. :)
-Shades (June 24, 2015, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was further confused by the "SSDs are already old hat" because the PCI-e mounted SSDs are SSDs. That, combined with "hard disks that work according to SSD principles" made me think this was some new technology I hadn't heard about before.

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I'm just trying to explain why what you said confused me. :)

-Deozaan (June 25, 2015, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're not alone. I was thinking about something spinning as well.

highend01:
I knew about PCI-e mounted SSDs, but Shades said "hard disks" which was something (PCI-e mounted HDDs faster than SSDs) that I hadn't heard about.
--- End quote ---

That's the reason why I asked for a link. I'm not too stupid to use google myself...

MilesAhead:
I was further confused by the "SSDs are already old hat" because the PCI-e mounted SSDs are SSDs. That, combined with "hard disks that work according to SSD principles" made me think this was some new technology I hadn't heard about before.
--- End quote ---

Now you mention it I heard a new technology is just over the hill.  3DHS for 3D Hamsters on Steroids.  The wheel is connected to a platter drive capable of achieving 60 rpm.  It is kind of like cruise missile where slow is good.  At that angular velocity the head hamster can read the data temporarily etched thereon.  These drives do insist on regular sleep cycles though.  Dead hamsters in drives smell really really nasty.

wraith808:
I knew about PCI-e mounted SSDs, but Shades said "hard disks" which was something (PCI-e mounted HDDs faster than SSDs) that I hadn't heard about.
--- End quote ---

That's the reason why I asked for a link. I'm not too stupid to use google myself...
-highend01 (June 25, 2015, 04:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

No one implied anything about stupidity.  And it happens.  Onward!  :Thmbsup:

SeraphimLabs:
Next time I will be more precise and call it "storage device"...that should make everyone happy. :)
-Shades (June 24, 2015, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I'm just trying to explain why what you said confused me. :)

It's all good though. The miscommunication has been cleared up.
--- End quote ---

It could have been this technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferroelectric_RAM

Surely you guys have heard of the 'core memory' from the 1960s that was literally a woven grid of wires and cores, and ended up setting the standard geometry and behavior for main ram for decades to follow.

Ferroelectric RAM is technology going full circle like it has done in a lot of markets lately. It reimplements effectively core memory on silicon, creating a non-volatile memory that is fast enough to serve as a main system ram while also being sufficiently stable to operate as a mass storage device.

Though there are currently density limitations that have kept it from becoming used in the mainstream, once those limitations are overcome this is a technology that could blow SSDs and the now commonplace DRAM out of the water.

I'm still not too sure on SSDs for long-term reliability. Though they do offer great improvements in performance and the price tag is now comparable for applications not requiring large capcacities. I've been deploying workstations based on 120GB SSDs in place of 320GB HDDs for a couple of years now with good results, and am considering the possibility of using one or more SSDs in my next server build as either a filesystem cache or as the actual primary storage device.

Pricing for larger capacity devices is still a sore spot, but it has gone down considerably since they were first introduced.

Oh and Renegade, you DID mismatch the two devices right? RAID1 of SSDs is not safe if you ordered both devices around the same time and they have been together in the raid the whole time. The result is that they will die by way of media wearout within a few days of one another usually.

To counter this, order each device separately from either a different vendor or a few weeks apart. That way you aren't as likely to run into SSDs from the same manufacturing batch or design revision. The manufacturing variation between batches makes enough of a difference in the actual usage life to expand what could be only a few days window between failures to be several weeks- enough to install a new device and rebuild the array.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version