ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The end of the hard disk

(1/12) > >>

xtabber:
According to Information Week, the end of 2015 will see SSDs with greater capacity than any hard disks currently available and SSDs are expected to be cost competitive with hard disks by the end of 2016.

Even if these projections are a little optimistic, particularly with respect to the consumer market, it seems clear that the hard disk will soon be going the way of the floppy disk.

It won't be missed.

ewemoa:
I appreciate the speed, noise, and power characteristics of SSDs, however...

My impression has been that the failure characteristics of SSDs leaves something to be desired -- catastrophic loss of everything with no chance of recovering even a small amount seems unfortunately much more likely than common HDD failure scenarios (admittedly I have no numbers to point to).  In the consumer area I haven't found it easy to find things with functionality such as power loss protection (the one SSD I own does have this apparently).

Another aspect I'm wary of has to do with wiping data.  With HDDs it seems clearer that one can blank things appropriately before resale, reuse, disposal, etc.  With SSDs, my impression is that the jury is still out so-to-speak.

What do you think?

MilesAhead:
Just checking a few prices I see already for sale Crucial and other brands with 3d nand technology @500GB for @$200.  I can't wait to see some really high capacity usb 3.0 sticks cheap.  So far I haven't noticed any price drop there.

Stoic Joker:
What do you think?-ewemoa (June 23, 2015, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the exact same questions haunt/scare the shit out of me ... Which is why I'm still running spinning platters.

While it's true that eventually the technology will stabilize enough to be called "Stone Ax Reliable" ...(Ha!)... The fact that I haven't heard an SSD horror story recently is not IMO a valid reason to assert that the proverbial coast is clear.

wraith808:
What do you think?-ewemoa (June 23, 2015, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the exact same questions haunt/scare the shit out of me ... Which is why I'm still running spinning platters.

While it's true that eventually the technology will stabilize enough to be called "Stone Ax Reliable" ...(Ha!)... The fact that I haven't heard an SSD horror story recently is not IMO a valid reason to assert that the proverbial coast is clear.
-Stoic Joker (June 23, 2015, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 here.  I've seen it too many times from people that have bought SSDs *recently* to trust them yet.  I have a hybrid SSD in my laptop, and it still concerns me.  I don't think it's anywhere near obsolescence, especially for server applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version