ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bing moving to encrypt search traffic

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
Bing Moving to Encrypt Search Traffic by Default

I'm a little bit skeptical of the reasons behind this... looks more like they want to lock out outside people from seeing things for their own benefit more than protect users...

Stoic Joker:
Oh Baby, Security Theater at its finest..

I joust love this part:However, to further protect our users’ privacy, we will not include the used query terms.  We will still provide some limited query term data available without compromising the security of customer data through our various webmaster and advertiser tools
--- End quote ---

...And just WTF is "Query Term Data"?? They go into 3 paragraphs of smokescreen to attempt to outline what is(/n't) about to happen. But they never clarify - like by example - what it is.

Here's a for instance: I do a bing search for Nipple Clamps, select a site from the Bing results, and Bing tells the site OP that I was looking for what exactly???

You can't put a logo on a Plain-Brown-Wrapper without defeating its purpose.

wraith808:
You can't put a logo on a Plain-Brown-Wrapper without defeating its purpose.
-Stoic Joker (June 18, 2015, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was exactly my thought.  But wanted to know if other people were reading the same thing...

Innuendo:
...And just WTF is "Query Term Data"?? They go into 3 paragraphs of smokescreen to attempt to outline what is(/n't) about to happen. But they never clarify - like by example - what it is.

Here's a for instance: I do a bing search for Nipple Clamps, select a site from the Bing results, and Bing tells the site OP that I was looking for what exactly???-Stoic Joker (June 18, 2015, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

After reading the blog post, my interpretation of this announcement is, and I'll use your example, this:

If you do a Bing search for nipple clamps and select a site from the results, what's passed on to the site is a referrer letting the site owner that you came via Bing. However, what search terms you used to get there are not disclosed. The site owner can use Bing's query tools and discover that 17 people did search for nipple clamps before visiting their site, but nothing that personally identifies you will be disclosed.

Just my interpretation of my announcement, though. What may actually transpire may indeed be more insidious.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't use Bing as my search engine, have never used Bing as my search engine, and probably never will use Bing as my search engine.

TaoPhoenix:

Does anyone have an actual referrer string?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version