ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nifty FREE Utility to do almost anything to a filename in Windows

<< < (2/5) > >>

Giampy:
Thank you MilesAhead for your tips.
The program you showed doesn't work for me, I adapted it for the command Attrib but I didn't succeed, however your tips about "drag & drop files" brought me to compose this line:

for %%A in (%*) do (attrib +a %%A)

"Drag & drop" files and the program works now. I hope to further develop it for my needs.

def:
Does it rename those "nearly impossible" files? There was that thread a few weeks ago with the one that resisted like seven of the usual tricks. -TaoPhoenix (June 17, 2015, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you are referring to my thread about files/folders with illegal characters (inserted by Linux' NTFS-3G) then no, it doesn't rename such files. (I had not expected the tool would accomplish this, anyway, as handling illegal characters is not advertised on the utility's home page and it is certainly not a common feature with file renamers on Windows.)

MilesAhead:
Thank you MilesAhead for your tips.
The program you showed doesn't work for me, I adapted it for the command Attrib but I didn't succeed, however your tips about "drag & drop files" brought me to compose this line:

for %%A in (%*) do (attrib +a %%A)

"Drag & drop" files and the program works now. I hope to further develop it for my needs.
-Giampy (June 18, 2015, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

The "IF" statement should have had a double equals sign as in
IF "%1"==""
instead of
IF "%1"=""

Usually stuff like that, unless it is very straight ahead, is use ahk or autoit.  Less twaddle to deal with that multi percent sign environment variables etc..  :)

Although the advantage of using .cmd batch for sysadmin types is it is always there where ahk or even powershell may not be.  I have to admit I hate the syntax though.  :)

Giampy:
Let me say that DOS is a damned fascinating world.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Let me say that DOS is a damned fascinating world.  :Thmbsup:
-Giampy (June 19, 2015, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Insane person that I was, I used to do stupid TSRs if you remember those.
Terminate and Stay Resident programs.  :)

Here's a tested version of my cmd

It just uses dir command for proof of concept.  :)

--- ---@echo off
:next
if "%1"=="" goto end
dir "%1"
shift
goto next
:end
pause

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page