ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Greasemonkey script etc to hide Slashdot Video box?

(1/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Slashdot has been struggling for a while, and Dice seems to have its own ideas on UI layout. It seems the much reviled Beta one is parked for a while, but a few days ago, something truly awful appeared: This video box:

It's pretty clear in the page source it gets pulled with (variants by day?) code that starts off with stuff like this:

So I'm looking for some way it simply gets hidden local side, then the rest of the page would just be normal and I can pretend it wasn't there.

Mouser seems to think this is a good thing for Greasemonkey. (Which I've never used much! So I'll need some user help!)

Thoughts?

4wd:
Do you have a link to a page with it on?

I don't get it just looking around the site, (not even with uBlock/etc disabled), so maybe it's specific pages or a geo-localised object.

Edit: Just tried with a VPN and still don't see it, (using IE, Pale Moon, Dragon, or IceDragon).

TaoPhoenix:

I don't get it just looking around the site, (not even with uBlock/etc disabled), so maybe it's specific pages or a geo-localised object.

Edit: Just tried with a VPN and still don't see it, (using IE, Pale Moon, Dragon, or IceDragon).
-4wd (June 15, 2015, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's really weird!
Geo-Localized!? Where are you?
I get it on EVERY day's front page!
>:(

It's about 6 down on the page for me right now, and about there every time. Slashdot does a "rolling live update" with a script, and it always is forced to be about that spot on the page.

4wd:

-4wd (June 15, 2015, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's really weird!
Geo-Localized!? Where are you?-TaoPhoenix (June 15, 2015, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Australia

I get it on EVERY day's front page!
--- End quote ---

Found it!

Strange, I could have sworn it wasn't there the first time I looked.  Guess my brain's not completely caffeinated yet  :-[

Slashdot-VideoBytes.user.js

--- Code: Javascript ---// ==UserScript==// @name /. VideoBytes kill Kill KILL// @namespace I'm responsible// @include http://slashdot.org/*// ==/UserScript== // Just removes the  element with id 'slideshow-wrap'function remove(id) {  return (elem=document.getElementById(id)).parentNode.removeChild(elem);} remove('slideshow-wrap');
That gets rid of the video images but leaves the placeholder, now I can see some source I'll try and get rid of the rest.

TaoPhoenix:
Glad my guess was good!
I can fake pretending most of the other stuff Dice is doing doesn't matter, but that one is in a league of its own!

(They also had the bright idea to stick polls into the news section, but at least those start minimized and I can just decide to ignore minimized things. But the video one is brutal!)

Hehe Actually, are you ready to make *two* of them? Because if you can make it so easy even I can use it, I'm gonna post it ON slashdot in like 9 comment threads, and watch them then get grumpy and change it!

(But then the people that catch on can just change the script themselves/their tech buddy.)

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version