ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MBAM scans freeze computer

(1/3) > >>

crabby3:
The freezes began after installing MBAM v2.1.6.1022. Old version worked fine.

Scans begin then the freeze happens. Everything stops. Looks like a full-screen-capture.

It lasts around 11 minutes, then scan resumes and the machine becomes usable again. (i.e. USB mouse, desktop clock, etc.)

Anyone else have or seen this?   :tellme:

IainB:
@crabby3: I thought what you wrote looked familiar, so I did a DuckGo search on "PC freezes began after installing MBAM v2.1.6.1022". Got lots of hits.
Found this one relevant - a forum post on MWB from 2009:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Freezing Issues Redux - Page 2 - Malwarebytes News - Malwarebytes Forum
Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:50 AM
Basic procedures to correct freezing issues often due to other Security Software
If these procedures do not correct the problem please create a new post seeking further assistance

Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
    Restart your computer (very important).
    Download and run this utility.
    It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
    After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here
    Note: If you're using a PAID version of Malwareybtes, you will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

BEFORE registering and starting the Protection Module, locate the Exclusion List for your Anti-Virus. Probably under an advanced menu in the program.
Add the following folders, sub-folders if you can, at a minimum add the files to the exclusion to be safe.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

--- End quote ---

This is pretty much as per my separate post of 2015-01-30: FIXED: Malwarebytes permanently running at high (approx. 27%) CPU utilisation.

Looks like once MBAM gets messed up, the "best practice" solution recommended by the developers is to expunge all traces of it and then install the latest version from scratch.

crabby3:
Thank you very much, IainB, for your extremely comprehensive reply.  :Thmbsup:

Now I have something interesting to do today!   :)

IainB:
@crabby3: Let us know if it gets fixed and how, please!

crabby3:
@crabby3: Let us know if it gets fixed and how, please!
-IainB (June 12, 2015, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) Uninstalled using Add/Remove programs in the control panel
2) Restart
3) Ran clean-up tool
4) Restart

Tried to download MBAM but do not have the option to run and it will not save or save as.  :(

I guess I'll see what Tech Support has to offer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version