ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[Infographics] WWII deaths compared w. others

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
I didn't get the same impression as Curt. My impression was that the presentation was genuine, but that it was lacking a good deal of information. While WWII may be an ok arbitrary benchmark (and for decent reasons as it is well studied and well known), I thought that perhaps an overview of the 20th century might have been better to present civilian casualties as it would provide a better perspective.

Professor R. J. Rummel of the University of Hawaii has perhaps the most exhaustive information available on what he terms "democide" - the murder of civilians by their own government.

With 70 million people murdered in WWII (war is nothing but organised mass murder), the democides of the 20th century are nothing short of shocking, and a brief reflection on them is more than enough to bring one to tears. 262 million people were murdered, or almost 4x the number of people murdered in WWII. That's innocent people who had done nothing wrong. People who were in the wrong place at the wrong time when twisted people began reigns of terror that are unimaginable.

You can find Rummel's research on the web here:

https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/

The video really doesn't do justice to the countless millions of murdered, innocent civilians.

Curt:
"more than 50 mio" by year 2015 cannot be exaggerated.-Curt (June 12, 2015, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

-"always stick to your first thought". ... (of course not "always", but...)

It was choking to read Rummel / Bond. A couple of years ago I heard the number 70 mio, but I didn't dare to quote it in my first post, and I was hoping 50 mio was too big a number. But what do you say when the number is a quarter of a billion? I have no words for this.

superboyac:
it is confusing.  i don't know what the specifics are that are going on but I definitely got confused by the presentation when they started making it seem like there are almost no violent deaths now than before wwii.  so i really don't know yet where i stand on the video.

maybe their point is more to show those that are living in wealthy countries to appreciate what they have?  something like that?  but again, that is not clear.  to me, it initially felt like there just isn't as many war related deaths anymore, so i feel confused and partly misled by that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version