ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

End of a good thing

(1/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
I've come to the end of a good deal.  On some items Walmart would let you select the local FedEx Office Store as a Store Pickup with no shipping charges.  There is one about a mile from my "headquarters" if you want to call it that.  :)

It was great for getting small electronics stuff like mouse pads, optical mice, usb drives etc..

Now they have discontinued the policy.  I suppose there were too many people like me buying small items for it to be profitable.  It's a shame.  To get to a Walmart from here is about a 2 hour journey by train then bus.  That's to get to the bus stop.  It's another 10 minutes or so just to walk across the parking lot into the store.

Plus the bus stop benches are not covered.  It is definitely a fair weather only activity.  :)

It was fun while it lasted.  :)

Innuendo:
To get to a Walmart from here is about a 2 hour journey by train then bus.  That's to get to the bus stop.  It's another 10 minutes or so just to walk across the parking lot into the store.-MilesAhead (June 06, 2015, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must live in one of the Vaults from the Fallout games. I thought everybody lived 20 minutes away from at least 2 Wal-Mart stores. I'm not even in a large metropolitan city and yet I'm about 20 minutes away from four of their stores.

What Wal-Mart should have done was leave the free shipping to your FedEx location, but just instituted a minimum order amount.

MilesAhead:
You must live in one of the Vaults from the Fallout games. I thought everybody lived 20 minutes away from at least 2 Wal-Mart stores.
-Innuendo (June 07, 2015, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I lived in the burbs that was the case.  Three within a 20 minute drive.  The one right in town they closed down.  But the next closest they expanded.  Especially the supermarket side was enlarged.  The same cart full of groceries that cost me $150 to $200 in Publix was $100 to $150 or so at Walmart.  I remember often one loaf of Arnold Farm House Bread was nearly $2 cheaper in Walmart.  Hamburg and that type of stuff I stayed with Publix.  But the name brand packaged food was fine.  Or they put their own label on it.  Breakstone Temptee Cream Cheese that was about $2.50 in Publix was Great Value Cream Cheese for $1.57 in Walmart.

They are nearly finished with a new one in the Miami area.  It is still quite a distance.  But it near a Metro Rail station.  It is the bus ride that is the killer.  I think the first avenue the bus route crosses is 77th Ave.  Walmart is on 154th Ave.  Quite a lot of "Stop requested.  For your safety do not cross in front of the bus."  :)

Plus one is limited how much one can purchase by what one can drag.  No storage kills off a lot of bargains.  :(

cranioscopical:
That's quite a dilemma! If purchase volume is limited by carrying capacity, the cost of the journey could cancel out potential savings.

KynloStephen66515:
I live in a crappy little village that seems to have more sheep and cows than actual people...and yet I am still only a 15 minute drive from ASDA (Or Walmart as you call it) and the same distance from a Tesco (Like ASDA...Only better) o.O

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version