ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bing moving to encrypt search traffic

<< < (3/3)

TaoPhoenix:
Does anyone have an actual referrer string?-TaoPhoenix (June 20, 2015, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
And it's quite possible that you're right. The problem is that they passed up the chance to just say that in plain English, choosing instead to dance around the specifics ... And that - These days - throws up a flag.
-Stoic Joker (June 21, 2015, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right, and I was raising the possibility it was much more sinister *hidden* under harmless doublespeak.

Some combination of weaseling like the way Firefox did it, to the effect of "Your name is personal info. Everything else is not. Therefore we do not share personal info."

But then there's the famous (EFF Foundation?) study that showed that people's browser configs *are* so unique that it *IS* actually personally identifying info. And they know that. But they then hide that behind straight faced lawyers with hypnotic diction to snow the public into complacency. Also, there was that AOL case where "non-personal aggregated data for a study" had a flaw, got ripped apart, and became personal.

So I don't trust them at all, which is why I was hoping one of us was on the other side of a fence and we could do that trick where "oh look, there's a sudden surge in searching for Mauve Zebras". And follow that through the back end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version