ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Android like Typing Assistant for Windows PC?

<< < (3/4) > >>

lifeh2o:
but you want to write a scientific thesis -
surely the standard of English will have to be a lot better than for spam ?
-tomos (June 05, 2015, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, and that is the reason I'll be giving scientific articles as an input to that tool.

TaoPhoenix:
but you want to write a scientific thesis -
surely the standard of English will have to be a lot better than for spam ?
-tomos (June 05, 2015, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, and that is the reason I'll be giving scientific articles as an input to that tool.
-lifeh2o (June 05, 2015, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, by this point it's becoming a bit of a personal challenge! Send me a chunk of your thesis and I'll ask you a question no tool can ever point out to you! You can copy and paste it into a personal message here. I'll have a pointed question within seventeen minutes : )

It's the Loebner Challenge in reverse.

dr_andus:
I feel a great lack of words and vocabulary to describe something.
-lifeh2o (June 05, 2015, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

It sounds like you're talking about looking up synonyms as you write.

WriteMonkey can do this. CTRL+click on a selected word, and it will bring up a list of synonyms in the context menu, and by clicking on a synonym it will replace the original word. It's amazing!

I keep forgetting about this feature (which I only discovered by accident), I should use it more often... Can't remember if it's in the free version, but you can donate any amount to get the donor key, and the other plugins are well worth it.

I only tried it in English, but he also has dictionaries and language packs for other languages on there.

Language packs (WORK IN PROGRESS!)
----------------------------------

French fr-FR (updated for v2.7: April 17th 2015) ** NEW **

Galician gl-ES (added: January 9th 2011)

German de-DE (updated for v2.7: November 8th 2014)

Italian it-IT (updated: December 25th 2010)

Lithuanian lt-LT (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)

Polish pl-PL (updated for v2.2: September 4th 2011)

Portuguese pt-BR (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)

Romanian ro-RO (updated for v2.7: November 23rd 2014)

Russian ru-RU (updated for v2.5: September 20th 2013)

Slovenian sl-SI (updated for v2.5: September 15th 2013)

Spanish es-ES (updated for v2.7: September 28th 2014)

Turkish tr-TR (added: April 13th 2011)

Ukrainian uk-UA (updated for v2.7: September 11th 2014)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:

I see your private message, so I'll post most of my notes there. For this thread, I'll bring up (to be elaborated in my private notes) that before you get to the word checker, you might need something else to organize your "main new point of your research" and then your backup proofs and examples. I'll say more in my notes.

app103:
One of the problems a predictive text app could pose for writing a thesis, is that if it is choosing the words and phrases from existing papers in your possession, it could inadvertently cause your thesis to trigger a positive result on a plagiarism checker. If you do use an app, you are going to have to be very careful and make sure you test the results, thoroughly.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version