ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Comparison of FREE Cloud Storage services.

<< < (4/4)

Innuendo:
It strikes me that if OneDrive has syncing problems, then that's a deal-breaker and one should look elsewhere.

It also strikes me that if GoogleDrive alters files and file formats, then that too is a deal-breaker and one should look elsewhere.

Between, Dropbox, Box, Amazon S3, and a host of other companies out there there should not be too much difficulty finding a suitable replacement for these two broken services.

Having said that, if it were me, I'd explore the possibility of buying a NAS and setting up my one cloud-syncing solution.

As an aside, if someone's of the opinion that Microsoft is not as adept as Google at discontinuing products or services, one is mistaken. As for hardware, does anyone remember the MS Commander game controller? The Microsoft 900 MHz cordless phone? The Zune? And as for software and services, what of Microsoft Streets & Trips? Microsoft Live Spaces? Microsoft Office Accounting? Microsoft Money? Microsoft Media Center and companion extender for the XBox? Don't think for a second that if a big-wig in Redmond thinks OneDrive isn't doing what it should be for the company they won't discontinue it, too.

dr_andus:
It also strikes me that if GoogleDrive alters files and file formats, then that too is a deal-breaker and one should look elsewhere.
-Innuendo (June 06, 2015, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

But to what extent is that really (or still) the case? I'm not saying this couldn't have happened in the past (I've heard about such things a couple of years ago), but there is also a chance that new users may not realise how the Drive works with Office files: Save Office files to Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides

If you want to share a Microsoft® Office file online and work on the file in real-time with others, you have to first save the file to Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides. You can then easily share the file and work on it with others.

Saving to Google Docs, Sheets or Slides creates a new copy so your original is always available in Google Drive. Any edits you make will only affect the new copy, which is stored as a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file.
--- End quote ---

This approach has the potential to confuse people, but it's not changing the original files. But if integrity of MS Office files is paramount, it's probably better to use a more neutral service like Dropbox.

CWuestefeld:
As an amateur photographer with 100s of GBs of photo files, I was excited to see Amazon's announcement of free unlimited photo storage.

This seems like the perfect thing for me, but after researching further it seems like it's all but useless. They only support up- and down-loading photos *explicitly*, and the tool for bulk uploads is reported not to work very well either. To make it perfectly clear: their app doesn't do any updating at all. You can only upload single files or whole directories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version