ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Comparison of FREE Cloud Storage services.

<< < (2/4) > >>

dr_andus:
That was for beta reasons in one case and legal reasons in the other, not because of any sort of repositioning- therefore I don't think that's entirely fair.
-wraith808 (June 03, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'll take your point about that. However, my main argument was that for MS the cloud is an afterthought, a bandwagon they are trying to jump on, trying to force users to start saving their stuff on the cloud, while Google is ahead on that game, as the search, Gmail, Google Calendar etc. started off as cloud services, so it's a smaller step to start using Drive.

I was quite willing to go with the MS cloud service, but I just found it clunky compared to Google Drive (which is not perfect either but I find it a smoother user experience). 

Stoic Joker:
Sync Stability[/b]
If Microsoft had this part of the system under control, I would just give them the crown. It’s a better UI at a better price. However, the sync stability has been a nightmare. They are trying to embed this into the operating system, but honestly, they just fucked it up royally. Constant sync errors and confusing UI makes me worried about losing files constantly. The error icon is constant and the solution (re-open the file) is sketchy at best. Microsoft Office asks me the question, “Do you want to keep the server version or yours?”. This would be fine if they gave me a way to DIFF the two versions. How the hell should I know which is the right version?! They were supposed to be sync’d. No one else is editing!

You can see how Sync problems are by far the most infuriating issue. The importance of a stable sync can not be exaggerated.-IainB's Quoted Article (June 03, 2015, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

While they're right about OneDrives abysmal sync behavior, IMO they're also a bit too kind. If you're syncing multiple locations/devices (I do) to the OneDrive the sync devolves into total chaos. And god help you if you make the mistake of opening a file in both locations - not editing it, just opening it - because now you'll have 3 copies of the file (renamed by location) all of which are just a teensy bit different...enough to throw sync errors until hell wont have it.

Mine currently say 4 files couldn't be synced. Now as to which 4 files that might be I haven't a $&%^#%^#%$&$ clue...because it doesn't apparently feel that that information is pertinent.

Stoic Joker:
It started out as Windows Live Folders in beta.  When launched, they called it skydrive.  Then because of (stupid) trademark ruling and the fact they didn't want to pay sky for nothing, it became onedrive.[1]-wraith808 (June 03, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The folks (idiots) that were in it from the beginning (like me) got free "loyalty upgrades" a few years back. Which is why I (became foolish enough to try actually using it) have 50GB of free (for "life..." - Ha!) storage on OneDrive.

wraith808:
It started out as Windows Live Folders in beta.  When launched, they called it skydrive.  Then because of (stupid) trademark ruling and the fact they didn't want to pay sky for nothing, it became onedrive.[1]-wraith808 (June 03, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The folks (idiots) that were in it from the beginning (like me) got free "loyalty upgrades" a few years back. Which is why I (became foolish enough to try actually using it) have 50GB of free (for "life..." - Ha!) storage on OneDrive.
-Stoic Joker (June 03, 2015, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too.  So I actually have 1TB,50GB :)  And I barely use in the MB :)

wraith808:
That was for beta reasons in one case and legal reasons in the other, not because of any sort of repositioning- therefore I don't think that's entirely fair.
-wraith808 (June 03, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'll take your point about that. However, my main argument was that for MS the cloud is an afterthought, a bandwagon they are trying to jump on, trying to force users to start saving their stuff on the cloud, while Google is ahead on that game, as the search, Gmail, Google Calendar etc. started off as cloud services, so it's a smaller step to start using Drive.

I was quite willing to go with the MS cloud service, but I just found it clunky compared to Google Drive (which is not perfect either but I find it a smoother user experience). 
-dr_andus (June 03, 2015, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about syncing, but as far as brand problems, both of them have them as their services morph.  From documents to drive back to documents... it's very annoying. And the way that they handle anything that's not one of their formats is what drove me away.  Not what IainB was saying earlier... but just trying to get access to them.  It's very clunky.  And now that they're all in different apps it sucks even more using their ecosystem for files.  I don't know who thought that was a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version