ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

How to use spellcheck

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
makes sense.
the only thing i would advise is that for a text editor, if the one you use doesn't have a good live spell feature, ween yourself off it and move to a different text editor.  for other apps something like tinyspell might be worth getting.

Shades:
Aspell is what I use and that is a system wide spell checker. It's open source and very, very light on resources. Dictionaries for a lot of languages are already available.

Paul1149:
Thanks, but aspell doesn't seem to be very good for windows. No interface that I could see, and didn't work on the text file I dropped on it.

Shades:
I should have been clearer. After installing Aspell, my browsers (FF & Iron) and text editor (notepad++, SQL Developer, SQLTools, TOAD) suddenly support spell-checking. Notepad++ comes with a spell-checker, but when it sees that Aspell is there, it asks you if you want to use that one instead. From my own experience I can tell you that Aspell functions like this on XP Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 2012.

Because of how Aspell functions it hasn't got its own interface, instead your standard text editor should now be able to do the spell-checking you need (if it couldn't do this before).

I took a look at the Metapad FAQ page and question 30 covers the use of Aspell with Metapad.

Paul1149:
Thanks, Shades. I appreciate that info. Metapad would be nice, but what I really needed spellcheck for was theWord, a Bible program. And I don't think there's any way to integrate it with aspell. I also don't see how to integrate Aspell with the Slimjet (Chromium) browser. SJ already has spell checking built in, and it's in real time, but I'm beginning to appreciate having one spell check for everything, so I probably will transfer the chore over to TinySpell, which will hit all progs and function within them in real time. When I tried a file drag and drop onto the Aspell icon, only an empty file was produced. Nothing was accomplished, and at that point I gave up on it.

BW,
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version