ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The End of my Macbook Pro Experiment

<< < (2/8) > >>

dr_andus:
As for quality of hardware, you can find some wonderfully built laptops that can rival a Macbook, but you won't find Dell selling one and you will pay just as much for it as you did that Macbook Pro.
-Innuendo (June 06, 2015, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dell XPS 13 (2015) is getting good reviews and being called a MacBook Air and Zenbook killer, at much lower price. The other one that's also looking good is the HP Spectre x360.

Same here... and the hardware *is* really nice, though PC manufacturers are catching up.
-wraith808 (May 30, 2015, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of hardware only, the new Google Chromebook Pixel 2 (2015) is being compared favourably to the Apple Macbook 2015, there are loads of head-to-head reviews. Of course the conclusion always is that the Pixel is overkill for Chrome OS. However, if one had already bought into Chrome OS and is able to install Linux on it as well, then it might even things out a bit more.

tomos:
As for quality of hardware, you can find some wonderfully built laptops that can rival a Macbook, but you won't find Dell selling one and you will pay just as much for it as you did that Macbook Pro.
-Innuendo (June 06, 2015, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dell XPS 13 (2015) is getting good reviews and being called a MacBook Air and Zenbook killer, at much lower price. The other one that's also looking good is the HP Spectre x360.
-dr_andus (June 06, 2015, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dell's site had very good prices on a basic version of the xps 13 a couple of months ago (no touch screen, I forget what else was different). Unfortunately that version seem to be no longer on offer....

Stoic Joker:
I ordered a Dell Precision M3800 for a client a few months back. It's extremely light, fast, and has an easy to use well laid out keyboard. Text on the 4k screen is indeed just as tiny as one would expect...but it does run nicely at lower resolutions that are easier on older eyes.

Innuendo:
My best friend just ordered the non-Touch version of the XPS 13 a couple months ago. He absolutely loves the thing. Takes it with him wherever he goes, even from room to room with him when he's at home. He's still in the honeymoon period, though, and he often gets hyper-critical of shortcomings after the honeymoon period is over with his purchases so we'll see...

Apparently, you can still order them, but you have to call Dell in order to do it & they don't take orders on their web site for it anymore. How weird...wonder if a product refresh is in the works for Windows 10? Unless it's a dire emergency, no one should buy a laptop this close to a OS release date.

wraith808:
My unboxing photos of my inspiron 7000.  I'm satisfied with the upgrade.

http://imgur.com/a/5YvIs#0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version