ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Softmaker Office 2016 released

<< < (3/5) > >>

Jibz:
Can someone help me figure out what kind of users prefer softmaker office?  I've always wondered...those who use MS office are not really going to use it.  And those who don't want to pay seem content with using the free stuff or google docs.  So which users like softmaker?  thanks
-superboyac (June 14, 2015, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I started using it because I had an old computer at the time, and the difference in install size and speed between SoftMaker and MS Office was huge. The difference in price was a nice bonus.

I don't know how much MS Office takes up today, but I can see the system requirements page lists 3 GB of HDD space. My SoftMaker install is 79 MB.

My experiences with the OpenOffice (and derived) suites were also from that machine, and back when they used more Java internally. They were so slow they were almost unusable.

4wd:
And you can install SMO to a flash drive for portability, which I found very useful.

cyberdiva:
Can someone help me figure out what kind of users prefer softmaker office?  I've always wondered...those who use MS office are not really going to use it.  And those who don't want to pay seem content with using the free stuff or google docs.  So which users like softmaker?  thanks
-superboyac (June 14, 2015, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been happily using SoftMaker Office for several years.  I started with a free version that they offered after a newer version came out.  I then was able to upgrade to the newer version for very little money.  And I went on from there.  I paid for the 2012 update and will probably do so for the 2016 update as well (the Standard version in both cases). 

I like SoftMaker office because it can read and edit files people send me in MS Office, and MS Office can read and edit files I've created in SoftMaker (I'm talking primarily about TextMaker/Word, but also PlanMaker/Excel, which I use much less often).  SoftMaker also has a smaller footprint, and I have found its support forums quite helpful. 

Josh:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with the labeling of products as "2016 edition" well before 2016 (even the fiscal year) even arrives? The car industry is notorious for this, but it appears to be hitting the software world too. Is there some psychological aspect to make people think "Wow, they released the 2016 edition in the middle of 2015, this must be that much better!"

</rant>

TaoPhoenix:
Am I the only one getting annoyed with the labeling of products as "2016 edition" well before 2016 (even the fiscal year) even arrives? The car industry is notorious for this, but it appears to be hitting the software world too. Is there some psychological aspect to make people think "Wow, they released the 2016 edition in the middle of 2015, this must be that much better!"

</rant>
-Josh (June 18, 2015, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Something like that, and also stuff like "well, there were pretty big changes between 2003 edition and 2010 edition, now we just changed the dictionaries, so let's call it 2016!" It's like a bit of desperate cheap psychology when a manager suddenly notices a revenue stream is drying up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version