ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Good new Acronis TrueImage vs. Norton Ghost review

<< < (2/2)

urlwolf:
Carol,

Why do you use the two in combination? It's also recommended in the review, but I don't see why this is.
I just tested this. I created a backup partition for my data, mounted it, deleted some of it, and then unmounted it. Creating the full partition took 38 mins, while genie backup took >2hrs for the initial backup, and a few mins for incremental backups.
Assuming that incremental backups in acronis suck (which they do: 2gb per day is ridiculous), just recreating the entire partition fresh everynight is doable. and I find it faster and easier to find a file after mounting an acronis partition than to use the catalog in genie backup... so one application could be enough.

Unless you want to have several days of history (which is not feasible in acronis, since incremental backups are 2gb and entire partitions bigger). hmm
I see your point.
Yep, you need both.

I'm just bitter because genie is buggy and making a big mess of my HD. I wish I could drop it. I tested backup4all, but it seems to have a memory leek (oh boy, can you trust these backup applications?), or at least it consumes 400mb of ram and crashes everytime I open it...

Carol Haynes:
The reason I use both is because I can backup small individual sets of data with Genie on a scheduled basis. The plugins are also a godsend because you can automatically grab stuff that application writers decide to scatter to the four winds when saving settings, caches etc.

If I want to backup everything on a partition  I do either an incremental or differential image of the partition using TrueImage (which is quicker and easier to restore, esp. if if it is an active partition that needs special handling to restore properly).

For backing up a few folders TrueImage is pretty useless.

I hadn't noticed particular bugs in Genie. What have you found? Have you notified them on their forum? I would have thought they would respond quickly as buggy backup software quickly loses credibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version