ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WildOpal - hypothetical new idea for a "find and replace" program

<< < (3/7) > >>

Innuendo:
Expresso is a free alternative.-wraith808 (May 24, 2015, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had not heard of Expresso. It looked very interesting until I noticed that the last version was released in 2013. That wouldn't be so bad except it's coded to stop working on January 1, 2016.

wraith808:
Expresso is a free alternative.-wraith808 (May 24, 2015, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had not heard of Expresso. It looked very interesting until I noticed that the last version was released in 2013. That wouldn't be so bad except it's coded to stop working on January 1, 2016.
-Innuendo (May 25, 2015, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that even after registering?

4wd:
Install Expresso 3.0 (Version 3.0.4750 - January 2, 2013*):

* If you have not registered, Version 3.0.4750 will expire after 60 days or on January 1, 2016, whichever comes first.
--- End quote ---

Innuendo:
Oh, in my haste it appears I misread things. Off to download then....nothing to see here.

TaoPhoenix:
wraith808: Shame it isn't fully standard in the spec, but crumbs, you're right - the \Q...\E does indeed work to treat chars as literal, at least in Notepad++. Asking at SuperUser.com produced no response, and it was missing from practically all of the tutorials I saw from searching with Google, so I assumed it was impossible.

It's going to be a lot easier to create this hypothetical program than I anticipated, since I thought of the (now obvious) idea to use Regex as a middleman. My program simply becomes a sugary wrapper for Regex.
-Twinbee (May 25, 2015, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's a couple of nice points there.

Asking at one forum (SuperUser) and checking the Tutorials is a "fair effort". So that's far beyond what usually gets derisively replied as "RTFM". Lucky that DC has some smart people!

:Thmbsup:

And next, from what I understand, making backbones and frameworks is hard. But there's a great need for little apps that borrow an existing backbone and make it friendly to people who are only middle-skilled users. Because then your "engine" is there - and you can add features a little easier because they can be explanatory / useful features, rather than trying to re-invent a wheel that isn't a wheel and getting your head wrapped into a pretzel on meta design issues!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version