ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to delete this empty file? (problem solved)

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
My immediate suspicion is some real time shield is blocking what you are trying to do. Do you have one of those heuristic programs that stops stuff it thinks is suspicious?  Something along the idea of Malwarebytes antiexploit?-MilesAhead (May 23, 2015, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Booting into Safe Mode should have disabled any AV/AM program.
-4wd (May 23, 2015, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

The error says the Registry data has been removed.  So it's gone long before we get to safe mode.  I'm still not clear on what happened.  The file was renamed to some random name or the new name is known but doesn't exist anywhere?

Edit: searching on the error message about file rename operations being removed turns up stuff about rootkits and malware from 2009 and earlier.  Here's one example:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/237113-pendingfilerenameoperations-solved/

Innuendo:
I had something long and technical typed out, but since Curt is scared of computers, let's try something simple first.

Try moving everything except the non-removable file from the FotoTemp directory to somewhere else on your system. Now try deleting the FotoTemp directory. Sometimes this works.

If it does, recreate FotoTemp and move everything back. If it doesn't, come back here & we'll move on to more exciting experiments.

Shades:
this works on 32-bit Windows only...there is also such a thing as portable linux. A 1.4GByte installer last time I checked. When you start this software a small bar appears in your Windows session. That small bar grants you access to Ubuntu and you can use that to remove files. Even if Windows says those files are locked in any way...Ubuntu doesn't care and removes it for you. Folders that are inaccessible under Windows? Ubuntu grants you access without any problem.

Last time I checked the coLinux software that virtualizes Ubuntu inside a Windows session only comes in 32-bit and won't work on 64-bit Windows.  

Curt:
Try this - download SetACL Studio (which has a 30 day free trial) and navigate to the folder and see exactly what's there. This is useful software - -x16wda (May 23, 2015, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

- "useful software"; you can say that again!
It didn't ask any questions, but deleted the empty file just like it would have deleted any other file. BRAVO!
Thank you, x16wda,   :Thmbsup:

(but of course, normal price is €90 - so it should be able to do a lot more than those freeware apps)

Thanks again to all of you, it has been extraordinary comforting to see so many trying to help out!  :up:   :up:  

x16wda:
Good deal!! I like it when stuff works. :-)

I like the software as well and we bought a license. We have a customer with a live server whose permissions are... unusual... and we are using it to clean that up, plus the places where dfs copied the bad stuff to, and where robocopy copied the bad stiff to... very useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version